Brisket cooking too fast!

I guess I like "some" variations in color. I think anyone that lives in Arizona must have a significant appreciation for various shades of everything brown. I'll visit there but I won't live there.

Each to their own...

Pork Belly said:
Well Divot just when you have me convinced it does not matter, you go all Bi-Polar with your ring issues. Understandably with over 5000 posts it might be hard to remember all your previous opinions. You did some good work convincing me smoke rings don't matter I think I will stay with that opinion for now, I'm at peace with it.

Well, Brian, as you know, opinions can change.  lol.  You are absolutely right!  When I wrote the posts you cited, I didn't know about the curing salt trick, and just decided that it didn't matter.  But, I was obviously fooling myself, because I couldn't get that "look!"  I still contend that it doesn't matter, from a taste perspective; makes no difference.  From a presentation perspective, I think it looks amazing, and I obviously cared about trying to chase a way to get it - which I eventually found! 

And Dave, yes, sometimes it goes a bit deep.  That can be controlled with time.  Some of the loin pics I did with it were a little deep, but those were experiments on brine penetration, which the curing salt was perfect for.  On a pork butt or brisket, though, you'd be hard-pressed to tell one from the other (usually about 1/4").

Bottom line, guys and gals?  Do what you like - not what I, or anyone else, likes.  The smoke ring is just a visual effect, nothing more.  The point of the discussion is that the only way you will get one, in an SI, is with curing salt. 

OK I smoked another brisket last night, this time a 7 pounder and it reached 199 in 6 hours, my number 1 seems to consistently cook quicker.
I started another 11.8lb brisket at 9:00am today and it hit 199 at 2:00, I have lowered it to 200, I really don't want to pull it out before 4pm as I have people coming over at 8pm..
Has anyone else had quicker cooking times on their number 1?

If you have an auber you may be safe at 200, though I think that is too high for a holding temp. Far better to hold at 140 or 145. That way your in the safe zone but if the temp spikes it will not be so high. Set at 200 potentially it could go up to 225. 

Pork Belly said:
If you have an auber you may be safe at 200, though I think that is too high for a holding temp. Far better to hold at 140 or 145. That way your in the safe zone but if the temp spikes it will not be so high. Set at 200 potentially it could go up to 225.

+1.  At 200, you're still cooking.  The hold temp needs to be lower, like Brian said, to keep in the safe zone, but no longer be cooking.

What about that smoke ring pork belly,
I could always get it with my propane smoker!!
Sorry just had to ad my 2 cents (even though I'm still a newbie)
So who's smokin a corned Beef this wknd? I am got a 7 pounder in brine
Now!!

Moonz search "Smoke ring" no need to rewrite old information. If it matters to you it is possible to get the appearance but it is not a priority for me.

Hmm, I'm having what appears to be the same issue (unless it's a probe placement one, I'm trying not to open it yet).  I have an 11lb brisket and an 8lb boston butt in my #2 at ~235.  Put them in at noon and 4.5 hours later my probe (in the brisket) is reading 168 which seems really fast.

well, I finally hit a stall at 172 so maybe that was the issue.  Just a fairly quick climb to stall and hopefully it'll hang out there without drying out.

Sweet Baby Ray said:
Here are two pics, wanted to take more but was too excited to get any decent ones.  The bark was not very dark, but it was all very tender.

Smoke time may be off, but the finished product looked good, how did it taste!

Greg

I find the biskets temperatures for my brined & injected ones, almost always, rise very rapidly then have a long stall. In the end, always finishing between 1 to 1 1/4 hrs / lb.

Here's to hoping it runs a bit longer than that or I'll be getting up in the middle of the night.  Currently regressed back to 169 so the magic is happening.  Planned on 2 hrs/lb though 1.5 or a bit more wouldn't have been an issue (4 hr rest and eat a tad earlier than originally planned).  At least the Maverick has an alarm to wake me up if it's done in the middle of the night

Well, it didn't take long enough for me to get a good night's sleep, but at least it came out pretty good (4 hour rest).  The last couple inches of the flat end were too dry to slice, but they made a nice breakfast :D.  The point was immediately foodsavered and frozen to make burnt ends later. 

Boston Butt maybe should have come out earlier (woke up at 201 degrees and opened the smoker up a few minutes later) because it broke in 3 pieces when I tried to pull it out for resting.  I let it rest anyway and mixed some au jus back in after shredding.  All in all a good cook, but I need to work on timing some. 

You should be able to save the dried out ends and mix them in with your point for the burnt ends. Getting some sauce on them will help.

Probably should be a different topic, but...clean up.  I noticed a bunch of caked on, puffy...carbon on top of the firebox.  Ok, no big deal because it was foiled so I just pulled the foil off.  But I did have some of that same stuff covering my drain hole so at some point it stopped draining any juices.

Any ideas?

mizzoufan said:
Probably should be a different topic, but...clean up.  I noticed a bunch of caked on, puffy...carbon on top of the firebox.  Ok, no big deal because it was foiled so I just pulled the foil off.  But I did have some of that same stuff covering my drain hole so at some point it stopped draining any juices.

Any ideas?

Not much you can do to prevent that.  I've had it happen with long smokes that have a lot of internal liquid (mostly brined butts or briskets).  Fortunately, by the time it actually solidifies and blocks the hole, the draining is pretty much done anyways.

Back