Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork

Brined my 1st Boston butt last night - kept it in the brine for about 16 hrs then took it out and injected it with a mixture of Tony Zacharie's Creole Butter and Little Richard's (my favorite BBQ place in Winston-Salem, NC) Lexington BBQ sauce.  Topped that with Memphis Dust and letting it sit in the refrigerator until it's time to stick it in the #2. 

Now a couple of questions -
(1)  should it go in fat side up or down.  There's not a lot of fat so I'm thinking it will soak into the meat as it melts (?) and help keep it moist but I read another forum member saying they were putting theirs in fat side down.  Does it make a difference?
(2) should the Maverick probe be put in close to the bone or strictly in the area where there is no bone?  I'm worried about getting a false reading from the bone but I don't know if that's a legitimate worry or not.

Thanks in advance...Gene

1. I think most (me included) put the Butt in fat-side up.

2. Absolutely it makes a difference. You definitely do not want the probe anywhere close to the bone as it will indeed give a false reading. I usually try to find the thickest meatiest part of the butt to place the probe.

When are you throwing it in the smoker?

Gregg - Thanks for the input...makes me feel a lot better.  The butt is 8.7 lbs so from what I've been reading in this thread I think I'm going to have to put it in around midnight so it won't be done TOO early (13.5 hours @ 1.5 hrs/lb).  I'll either double wrap it in foil and drop the temp of my #2 or use foil, towels and a small cooler to hold it in when its done.

I always put mine in around 11:00pm-12:00am at 225. Mine typically run closer to 2/hours per pound.

I think you should be good to go. Pull at 195 if it gets down within 2-3 hours of your meal time, double-foil and rest in a cooler with some towels on top for 1-3 hours for a rest. If it appears that it is going to get done earlier than that, I would reduce the heat to 140 when the internal temp hits 190. You can leave the butt in the smoker in warming mode for several hours and the carry over will take it up pretty close to 195.

If for some reason it is looking like it may not get done in time, I would resist the urge to crank up the heat unless you really have to. Those last few hours when it is working through the stall is where the real magic happens.

The two butts I previously smoked I did without brining and I set the #2 to 235, taking them out to rest when the internal temp reached 195.  I "was" planning on doing this one at 235 also but maybe I'll try 225 so it doesn't finish too soon...I don't need it ready until 5:30/6:00.  If it seems it's hanging when I get up in the morning I can always kick the temp up a bit.

I generally use 235 for two butts and 225 for a single. But, I think you could use 235 for singles too.

There are a few here that prefer 235. I'm not sure there would be a huge difference either way. I just prefer to use 225 if I have time to spare.

Thanks Gregg - I have the time so I'll try 225...between the lower heat, brining and injecting this should be the tastiest, juiciest butt yet...photos tomorrow.

You're on the right track, for sure, Gene!  I go fat cap up on butts, but it really doesn't matter to me.  Most of the butts I get are pretty-well trimmed, and most of the "beneficial" fat is really internal anyways.  I also don't think 235 will hurt, either.  I use 225, but usually kick it up to 235 once it works through the stall and the temp starts climbing again.  All the "tenderizing" cooking is done, at that point, so a little extra heat doesn't hurt a bit.  Some do butts at 240, or higher, but I like 235 and below.

Let us know how it turns out!  (With pictures, please!)

In last night at midnight at a temperature of 225 (oh, what we do for food!).  I've had a question about the Maverick probes so I decided to stick both of them in on different sides so 10 hours later one is reading 169 and one is at 172 - close enough for Gov't work.  The smell is so good it's making my taste glands work overtime...it going to be hard to resist stealing a taste when it's coming out and getting foil wrapped for it's rest.

12 hours in now and one probe at 181, the other at 178.  Glad I went with the suggested 225 instead of my normal 235 since we won't be eating for another 5 hours...plenty of time to reach 195 since it appears it's going up about 5 degrees an hour.  Still smells incredibly good.

You should be fine.  It would be great if it finishes a couple of hours before you plan to eat so you can double wrap in foil and hold in a cooler with towels.  The rest period will allow the juices to redistribute, and you will be in the money!  Cheers

That's the plan Steve...it's 190 at 3pm, plan to eat around 6.  That will leave it two hours to rest if it hits the 195 this hour.  Smells so good!

Just pulled it from the #2, foil wrapped it and put in a warm cooler...total time smoking was 14-1/2 hours at 225.  Beautiful (and delicious) bark...I can hardly wait!  Trying to move it from the grill to the foil showed me just how tender it is...tried to fall apart!

Quick question for those in the know - the Maverick probes.  I've read that you don't want to get the "wire" part of the probes wet and to only clean the probes themselves.  The wires are getting terrible looking from the smoke and rub - how are you supposed to clean them?

Attachments

• PorkButt.jpg
    PorkButt.jpg
    936.4 KB · Views: 482
Finished the smoke (above) and the rest BUT the butt wasn't as moist as I had been hoping...it seemed that the outer 1/4" or so had dried...still very edible but not what I was hoping for.  How do you keep the moisture while still reaching the 195 internal temp?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 426
I use Windex on my probes. I put some on a folded paper towel and then clean the probe. Then, while holding the wire at the probe, rub the wire between the paper towel gently. Works well for me. Just don't pull on the wire and don't spray directly on either.

I haven't had a butt dry out on me yet and I have taken a few up to 202-203.

It's possible that you got a cut if meat with not a lot of fat and it dried out on you. I always buy my butts at Sam's Club and have never had one dry out on me.

Back