Beef Brisket

Here is the rest of the story.....6lb flat, about 6oz mixed hickory & cherry, placed brined, injected & rubbed flat on 2nd rack from top added extra rub to top, set temp @ 225 & let rip.  6 hrs in i quickly applied some bbq sauce (temp was 187).  After 8.5 hrs it finally hit 200.  Took it out wrapped in foil & let it sit 45 minutes until guests arrived.  It was phenominal.  The remaining fat that wasn't rendered was literally like butter.  It melted in your mouth, no chew @ all.

I added a photo of the black eyed pea tart.  If you do this, make sure to drain the peas well before blending with the ceam cheese.  After blended add about 1/3 volume more drained peas for texture. Save some unblended as well.  Cook the philo in muffin pans until golden brown (about 10 min in a preheated 350 deg oven). Add warm pea / cream cheese mixture.  Top with warm unblended peas.  When this process starts I take some purple onion & jalapeno & marinate in plain white vinegar.  A shot of vinegar is always good with beans & the onion & japs add flavor & crunch.  I use salt pork when cooking the beans down cut to 1/4 in thick.  After peas are done cut into strips and pan fry.  Use apiece or two as garnish with the onions.  It tastes like crispy pork fat from a pork chop.  Also add a little green onion for color.  Crunchy, creamy, savory, mmmmmm.  Goes great with pork as well.

Everyone enjoyed the meal.  My daughter thought it was a little too smokey but she was the only one.  I dont know if brineing & injecting is overkill but both briskets done this way were very moist & extremely tastey.  I would like to inject one & inject & brine another and cook side by side to see if there is an appreciable difference.  Unfortunately, very seldom do I have a need to cook that much.

Attachments

• 20140124_174901-1.jpg
    20140124_174901-1.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 368
  • 20140124_170441-1.jpg
    20140124_170441-1.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 383
  • 20140125_182003-1.jpg
    20140125_182003-1.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 320
My goodness Walt... that looks ridiculously good.

I have not eatend yet and just returned from a long workout at the gym... and now I definitely need to see what vacuum sealed hunk of meat I'm going to retreive from the freezer!!!

Thanks for the photos!!!

I live up north where true barbecue is not understood. All the guys would dig right into it and so forth. If I were to pull that brisket out at a family picnic, my wife, mother, mother-in-law would be under the wrong assumption that because of the bark its "burned" or inedible (which is fine, more for me).

QUESTION: Does anyone else run into this conflict if you will? How would one help the "presentation" so as to not shock folks not accustom to this style of cooking?

My get-together's are usually less than 15.  So, I tend to plate initially (2nds are on them).  A couple of slices nestled next to the roasted cauliflower & pea tart.  It didnt look like a piece of 6 lb charcoal when they 1st tasted it.  After that they were hooked.

Polish Q said:
I live up north where true barbecue is not understood. All the guys would dig right into it and so forth. If I were to pull that brisket out at a family picnic, my wife, mother, mother-in-law would be under the wrong assumption that because of the bark its "burned" or inedible (which is fine, more for me).

QUESTION: Does anyone else run into this conflict if you will? How would one help the "presentation" so as to not shock folks not accustom to this style of cooking?

Sorry, Steve, folks in Arkansas know what good Q looks like! ;D

Back