Bacon help for a newbie

littledabwilldoya said:
I started at 180, later turned down when i saw how fast the temp was rising

There you have it.  I re-read the post in the link I put on about belly bacon (couldn't remember what he did on the belly bacon).  I see that he cold-smoked it for 12 hours only.  I believe this is the way to go with bacon.  No heat, just smoke, for a long period.  Makes sense, since the bacon is cured, you just want to add smoke, and then cook it after it's sliced.  The Canadian bacon is fully-cooked when it comes out of the smoker (you can eat it cold).

I don't know if you have the cold plate or not, so ask us for advice on that if you don't know. 

i have the cold plate and will be using it next time.

Just got back from a nice little vaca to the bahamas.    Not much smoking going on there, but great conch if you ever visit.  Now back in Portland OR and too much ice on the road to go for more pork belly.

Thanks guys for all of your suggestions and keep them coming.

I do bacon all the time and cooking at 180 is fine. How long did you cook it at this temp? What IT did you pull it at? Many prepackaged cures will require a good soaking. The recipe in charcuterie is a good starting point but very basic.

I am actually picking up to pork sides tomorrow, I should be able to get about 25 pounds of bacon out of it. I am nervous about making my beloved bacon in the SI but I am going to give it a chance. I will document it and post it.

Back