Auber Smoker Cabinet temp probe

DivotMaker said:
Curious, Tex...is that the meat probe?  Did the Aubers come with two of the pointed ones when you got yours?

Sorry folks.
Just grabbed the wrong probe for the picture.
It was about 20 degrees out there!

I have the blunt one as well.

I have had my aubertemp. Probe over a year now and I think the simplest and easiest way to mount the probe is to make a small ball with foil with the probe sticking out the end and gently force the foil down between two of the rack bars that you are smoking your meat on that way you know the temp. Of the area in the smoker your foods at, it varies from bottom to the top of the smoker. I own the smokin it #3 and it works great every time.

I use the cork from a wine bottle.Drill ahole through the cork slide the probe through and position between the wire on the rack hang about an inch below desired rack. I like the cork because its softer than wood and will develop grooves after awhile.

Pretty creative, MN!  There's definitely more than one way to skin a monkey! ;)

I was checking out the accessory probe you have to permanently mount on the Auber site.  One thing that struck me about it was their explanation of the stainless smoker wall acting as a "heat sink" for wall-mounted probes.  This makes the probe read lower than actual temp.  They counter that with use of a thermoplastic base that insulates the probe!  I thought that was pretty cool, if you choose to go the permanent mount. 

Attachments

• Auber cabinet sensor.jpeg
    Auber cabinet sensor.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 424
Well now, do you think that this might be the reason for the stock probe having different temps? Seems to me that this could very well be the case.

Could be a valid reason why the SI probe reads lower than a Maverick hanging out away from the wall of the smoker.  And that the smoker is working pretty much as designed.

This is possibly why the digital SI proto has had some temp problems.  If I were to mount a permanent probe for an Auber, I'd definitely use the insulated model.

Back