Auber fixed probe compared to corded one

You can get it directly from Auber.

However, you may want to call Steve. I think I read somewhere here that he was starting to get some fixed probes in to start selling on the SI site. Since your's is backordered, I would guess that he could swap the probe for the fixed probe for you.

Auber just arrived so I'll go to the Auber site and order the fixed probe.  Here is what might be considered a dumb question.......Nobody mounts the Auber directly to the smoker correct?  I'm assuming that each time I use the smoker, I'd pull out the3 Auber, hook it up and place it on top of the smoker.

I was thinking about getting one at some point, but am concerned that it isn't weather proof.

Has anyone built any sort of box for it to keep it from getting wet? 

That's pretty much the way I do it, set the smoker up for cooking then get the Auber out and plug it in, takes just a minute to plug it in and if you have the fixed probe thats already done to, no wires hanging out the top. I don't set mine on top but next to it on the left side, no cords running up the back of the smoker, as far as getting it wet you wouldn't want that it is basically a computer, I keep my smoker on the deck under the over hang on the house so I can still use it if it's not raining to hard. A box of some sort might not be a bad idea for the Auber if you have any concerns about a shower popping up if you use a maverick you could still get temp readings...something to think about.

Jim's right, the Auber is not weatherproof.  It is a 110v electronic computer, so treat accordingly.  It does have a sturdy case, but I wouldn't trust it in the snow or rain without an enclosure.  I use mine exclusively under a covered porch, so that's my weatherproofing!  Fantastic tool, but you wouldn't want to set it out in a rain storm!

Great info everyone.  Can someone with knowledge let me know about adding a power cord from the Auber to the electrical source?  As you know the SI comes with a 12 foot cord and it must be designed for such a long cord.  Love that so I can maneuver the smoker where I want it on my deck. 

Now the question...... if I use the Auber,  it has a very short cord and this would dictate keeping the smoker close to an electrical source.  Can I add an additional 12 foot cord from the Auber to the electrical source?  If you think about it, that would mean 24 feet of cords between what was included with the SI and adding an additional 12' extension from the Auber  to the electrical source.  I'm concerned that too much cord would have an impact on power to the unit and the characteristics or function of the smoker or Auber.

Thanks for you input.......will wait on this before my auto tune of the Auber/SI.

The smoker plugs into the back of the Auber so I cut the smoker cord to about 2 ft. now I dont have all that extra cord to bundle up, I use a good quality 15 ft. 14/3 cord from the Auber to the outlet, no need to go to a 12/3 cord unless your going beyond 50 ft.

Back