Auber fixed probe compared to corded one

al_sfbay

Who has a fixed probe out there?  I have a few questions as I am trying to decide to do that.  First off where did you place it and how?  Secondly do you know how much variation you have in the smoker?  I have a #2 and am considering a fixed probe, but would like to know more before making that decision.  Thanks in advance.

Hey Allison, here's some of my posts on it:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1594.0

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1595.0

and a little in this one:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1285.0

Spend some time poking around the Auber Tips and Tricks section - lots of "lessons learned" there from those of us who've worked out some of the bugs!

By the way, I LOVE the permanent probe!  Once you autotune the Auber, it absolutely eliminates errors you can get from probe placement (removable probe).  It also holds temp +/- 1°.  Works great!

thanks Tony, after digging around I am pretty sold on the idea.  My only hesitation is getting the buy-in from my husband who will have to do the install for me!

Fortunately, the install isn't very difficult.  The hardest part is putting enough muscle into drilling through the stainless steel!  That stuff is hard!  Keep making him great Q, and he'll be putty in your hands! 8)

The biggest tip I can give you is, make sure you center punch a dimple so your drill bit doesn't wander. Just as a side, I ran the wire for the permanent probe alongside the power cord and out the same factory grommet as the power cord. Saved me from drilling another hole.

GeeBee said:
The biggest tip I can give you is, make sure you center punch a dimple so your drill bit doesn't wander. Just as a side, I ran the wire for the permanent probe alongside the power cord and out the same factory grommet as the power cord. Saved me from drilling another hole.

Great idea to run the cord out of the same hole as the power cord!

How long is the permanent probe cord though? I am just wondering because of Auber placement if there would be enough cord from the permanent probe to be flexible where the Auber sits.

GeeBee said:

Great idea, Gary!  Don't know why I didn't think of that!  Geez...forest for the trees thing, I guess!

NDKoze said:
GeeBee said:

Great idea to run the cord out of the same hole as the power cord!

How long is the permanent probe cord though? I am just wondering because of Auber placement if there would be enough cord from the permanent probe to be flexible where the Auber sits.

I believe it's 6' long, so this will still be plenty.

Hey Tex - good to see you again!  Do you mean the removable probe that comes with the Auber?  I know you hang yours with the little wood block.  Auber makes a permanent mount that has a nylon base, so you don't get the heat sink effect of the smoker walls.  It's a great concept, and in reality is fantastic.  Check out the links I put up above.  Let us know what you think, as one of our Auber pioneers! ;)

I have the #2 and went with the permanent probe as per Tony's install post even went with parameters from Tony's auto tune, so simple, I also went out the bottom corner so only drilled the one hole, the whole process took about 1 hour. Everyone who has witnessed this thing in action is impressed, common responses are WOW !!! were can I get this exact setup. Asolutely love using this smoker after 10 years on stick burners and propane have truly found a renewed passion and the forum is the icing on the cake, never looked back!!!!

That's awesome, Jim!  I think you've given the first feedback on the fixed probe (other than me).  I'm amazed how accurate it holds temp.  Every time I look, it's dead-on set temp, and sometimes a degree off.  Crazy stable!

I love showing people how stable the auber keeps the temp, 1 or 2 degrees from the set point, makes smoking salmon just plain awesome and the finished product is the best I've ever done. The addition of the fixed probe brought it up to a completly new level, I rarely use my maverick any more. Last weekend I did ribs and a buddy of mine must have stared at the auber for hours, had to keep telling him it won't move trust me LOL NOW he's sold and looking to get the #2. Anybody out that does not have the auber should definetly get one you'll be amazed makes a great smoker almost perfect.

If your friend buys a smoker make sure he tells Steve you referred him. Steve hooked by buddy up with some Swag when I told SI about the reference.

All of the success I've had with my SI goes right back to this forum and the awesome group, so happy I stumbled on this site, now I'm trying to turn everyone I know on to SI and this forum, special thanks has to go to Tony for all the time he puts in just answering questions!!!!

Question - I have the model 3 and have ordered the Auber for it.  Don't have yet as it is back ordered.  I see that everyone loves to have the fixed probe and I read about upgrading to the fixed probe.

Where would I order this from?  I don't see it as an option on the SI web site.

Thanks!

Back