An Alternative Cart

An integrated beer cooler is great when you're sitting around, outside, with friends or family.  But, since I smoke with as little human intervention as possible (my style of "Lazy Q"), my beer stays in the house with me.  lol.  ;D

Son-in-Law's mini-fridge proved a bit too tall for my cart, but I'm pretty sure that with some diligence, I could find a model to fit.

But in the mean time, I'd miss a lot of time smoking and that would be counterproductive in my opinion.  Besides, I do most of my smoking in my garage (smells great!) and we have a full sized fridge just steps away.  No need to stress for a cold one, but nonetheless, a good design idea.

Thanks,

Dan

I ended up with the SI cart for the SI #3. It's built very well. The only thing I don't like is that the shelves are a bit dodgy. It's worth every bit of the $200 balloons.

Well, I went ahead and bought the same cart from Harbor Freight that you got Dan.

I'm gonna do things a bit different. I'll create a new thread when I get to mine.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Harbor Freight though. I had looked for a similar cart and everywhere else I looked was way more expensive.

Here is a table with wheels and a shelf for my number 2. Very sturdy and gives me a place to put a drip pan to catch the drippings when I pull the racks out. Had the guy cut the legs to give me a height with wheels around 31". He knocked off a few bucks when I emailed him and free shipping, ended up around $141.00. I would like to figure out some type of shelf to hold my Auber and Maverick up higher while cooking, the probes are long enough I can use the shelf below just think I would like them better up around eye level.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131222972035?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2661

Attachments

• smoker stand.jpg
    smoker stand.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 860
Nice-looking table.  With both cart/table designs, I notice that the table sticks out quite a ways in front of the smoker.  Just curious - do you find it kind of awkward getting things in and out of the smoker when you have to stand off to the side?  Seems like not being able to get close to the front of the smoker would be.  Pictures can be deceiving, though, so I thought I'd ask.

I like what Big Bass has. The price seems fair. I really like how there is a place to put a pan to catch drips when the racks are pulled out.

When I first set the smoker up there I had the extra space to the right but really like it this way to catch the drips. The pic makes it look like it would be hard to reach but it isn't. I really like not having to get on my knees to use/clean it.

I don't find the shelf/countertop portion of the cart too deep at all - in fact, I designed it that way.  To have some work space in front of the open cooker so I could set a tray of product there and not have to look around for a place to set something.

I've since made a small mod to it.  I've grown tired of measuring the foil time and again to line the bottom of the cooker, so I've drawn a set of index lines the size necessary.  All I have to do is hold up the foil to the marks, tear off a length and simply fold to the correct size.  No more referring to the book for the dimensions.  See photo, attached.

Attachments

• 2014-09-03 10.13.42.jpg
    2014-09-03 10.13.42.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 782
It's not a cart but here is my fix.
I don't need a roll around because my SI2 is in my outdoor cook shack. All I need is to get it to a good height for cooking. I decided a standard height of 30 inches would work just fine. With that and the width & depth measurements I headed to the thrift stores. Found a computer desk with a shelf on top of the desk that fit the bill nicely. I had to saw off the left side of the top shelf but for a total of $20.00 I am satisfied.

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 696
Another alternative I found on-line....
photos courtesy of bigbirdk on another forum

$59.99 at Sam's Club
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/utility-cart/prod9070084.ip?sprodId=prod9070084

Attachments

• smokin-it 1 cart 2.jpg
    smokin-it 1 cart 2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 717
  • Smokin-it 1 cart.jpg
    Smokin-it 1 cart.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 886
  • smokin-it cart 3.jpg
    smokin-it cart 3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 838
  • smoking-it cart 3.jpg
    smoking-it cart 3.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 803
  • smokin-it cart 4.jpg
    smokin-it cart 4.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 762
I've seen that cart at Sam's, John, and thought it would be a good one!  I thought you could cover the top shelf with a sheet of plastic, to prevent drips and spills.  It's a solid cart, though.

Unfortunately, the closest Sam's to me is 50+ miles away.  An out of state friend has a membership, but with shipping, the chrome version came to about the same as the zinc one through Amazon, so I ordered it through Amazon.  I was told that it comes with the commercial utility cart liners that you spoke of, so that was a plus.

It has room enough in front to act as a shelf, and three shelves/baskets underneath to store my wood, and accessories.

I'll use the wheels through the mesh technique shown in the pictue to secure the #1 to the cart, and so I don't have to worry about the wheels wandering off.

All in all, seems to offer good value for the $$. 

A big thank you to bigbirdk whose pictures swayed me.

After reading this thread, I ordered the Seville Classics cart for my new #1 from the manufacturer during a Christmas sale ...10% off and free shipping.  It works perfect as other have said.  I went ahead and attached without the wheels on the # 1 to give a bit more space. Remember to switch the top shelf position with the second shelf or you get to assemble twice like I did.

I use a sams club cart which has 3 shelves and mats
The auber sits on the second shelf elevated and covered for air flow, the container has holes drilled in the side. Fairly in-expensive and sturdy

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 812
I don't know. You guys scare me putting that heavy unit on top tables with wheels and that looks to be very top heavy. Accidentally hit something when moving it and I would be afraid it would tip.

Back