An Alternative Cart

DHurd

Happy?  I'm delirious!

I have plans to mount the Mod 3 onto a cart that have been on hold while this business has been up in the air.  With this issue resolved, I can proceed with the project. 

If it turns out, I believe I'll have a nice alternative roll around cart option to offer the forum.  The parts are from Harbor Freight and Home Depot, so no bank-breakers.  A little fiddling and a little assembly and bang!  Nice looking, utilitarian, reasonably priced, nearly instant cart. 

Fingers crossed.

Dan

I have been toying around with some ideas for building my own cart as I am not willing to pay the (what I think is way too high for what you get) amount of money for the Smokin-It cart.

I have been toying around with a wood cart that would have an enclosed space with shelves to store my unused racks as well as foil rolls etc.

I am curious as to what you are working on though.

I am surprised that there aren't more pics of people making homemade carts on this forum.

Gregg,

While I'm waiting on the finish to dry I can give you a rundown on what I've done for a cart over the Smokin-It version.

I bought a 2' x 3' roll-around cart from Harbor Freight for $59.00.  I also bought a couple of finish ready planks from Lowe's for $16.00 each.  Some spacer blocks, hardware and varnish I had in my shop and bang!  Smoker Cart.

I went a little overboard in some areas, but I think you can put a nice looking and highly functional cart together for right near $100.00 that will serve your smoking needs for years to come.

I hope to have this project complete by the end of the week, depending on how the two coats of varnish dry.  It's been pretty humid lately.  But it'll get there.  Once I get it done, I'll post the pictures.

Dan

Here are the pictures of my new cart.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  A lot of the parts came from stuff I had lying around my shop, but I believe that even if I bought it all new I'm fairly confident that I could keep the cost under $200.  As it is, I'm in for around $150 and I went overboard with sanding and finishing and such.  No more working on my hands and knees!

I wasn't sure where to post these, so let me know and I'll move or re-post them as necessary.

Let me have your feedback, I'm curious to hear what you think of it.

Dan

Attachments

• cart1.jpg
    cart1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,374
  • cart2.jpg
    cart2.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 1,175
  • cart3.jpg
    cart3.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1,056
  • cart4.jpg
    cart4.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 988
I sure like it... so far anyway.  No frills, just function.  I haven't used it in a smoke yet, that'll come very soon and then I can report on how well it works to support the cooking function.

The Auber will sit on top, as before.  The top of the unit sits about 5 inches below eye level, so the Auber will be easily readable and accessible from there.

Dan

Looking good, Dan!  Being from Arkansas, I'm a fan of "redneck engineering!"  And believe me, that's NOT a bad thing! 

I'm glad somebody noticed.  I'd also like to point out that the lower tray will accommodate full cases as well - even the tallest long necks.  But for some reason they don't stay on the cart very long...    ;D

Dan

My 2 cents, maybe 3.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161133199542?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Email him for a better price. Can be fitted with wheels and free shipping.

I viewed the cart on ebay, then sudden had a moment! That would work out great to incorporate into an outdoor kitchen, we'll call it "the smoker station."

Bought this cart from Sears about a month ago.  Works great with my #1 smoker.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

djblock said:
Bought this cart from Sears about a month ago.  Works great with my #1 smoker.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Lol, I have the same cart. It has my wireless printers on them. I just bought the one from SI and was done with it.

I like the cart from Ebay, but have the SI cart.  I like the side shelves, and the fact that it's already drilled to bolt the unit onto it.  The #1 can go on about anything, the #2 is heavier, but you need a sturdy cart for that hoss of a #3!  Lots of weight, so you want stable and tip-resistant.

I don't know guys...  I'm liking the dorm fridge idea a lot.  That would certainly provide enough ballast to offset the weight of the Mod3.

My son-in-law has one - I think I'll ask about a dry fit tomorrow just to see how it goes.

I am a strong believer that the smoker cart should include a keg fridge to help pass the time while waiting for that great Q.

Back