42 day Umai dry bag aging - boneless ribeye

barelfly

And the dry age process has begun. Picked up a boneless whole ribeye to dry age. Starting weight was 15.55lbs. I Will go with a 42 Day aging for the first one. I hope I got a good enough seal around the meat. I should be ok based on the video saying at least 80% against the meat, which I definitely have. I’ll update with pics when it looks like there is some change in the meat. But I’m excited to try this out. I’m definitely going to look into the charcuterie bags once I get the hang of this.

Attachments

• 2D1CE4A2-B5E9-4D4A-8158-FEE4E1349F5F.jpeg
    2D1CE4A2-B5E9-4D4A-8158-FEE4E1349F5F.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 547
I have been visiting that site as of late giving this some thought.  Not yet committed.  I read all of Tony's postings when he did this a couple years back.  Got interested then as well and did nothing.  Hope all goes well.

I have a 60-day bone-in prime rib roast going too. It will be ready Feb 28th. Looks like you have pretty good contact. If you are not sure, you can slip the whole thing into the leg of panty hose (wish I had come up with that tip).

Man, Jeremy, you are in for a treat!  Once you dry age some ribeyes, it will ruin you on "plain old" non-aged steaks!  I have a USDA Choice bone-in prime rib that I just pulled out of the freezer (11 lbs).  I plan to throw it in a Umai bag when it thaws.  The Choice cut will definitely benefit from the dry aging process.

The treat is my hope! Ruining the plain steaks won’t be good! I’m already a snob with food.  I don’t enjoy going out to eat much, my expectations are too high! So if I get to that point with my own steak...... ;D

Here’s a few photos from 8 days in. Bag adhesion is great, color has changed and has stiffened up a bit. Here’s to 35 or so more days!

Attachments

• 263D1449-916D-4869-9982-A2865DF6190C.jpeg
    263D1449-916D-4869-9982-A2865DF6190C.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 493
  • 2421AEAF-C599-4DA5-A118-7E34A8E1F4E9.jpeg
    2421AEAF-C599-4DA5-A118-7E34A8E1F4E9.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 474
Coming along nicely!  Personally, I don't go over 28 days.  I love the flavor that period brings, and it doesn't shrink quite as much.  But hey, some go 60 or 70+ days!  I'm just not that patient... ???

After reading around, 42 days will probably be my max. I went long for the first time that way I am not disappointed if I don’t like it. It will be my baseline and if it’s a bit too funky for me, which I think is right at the point where it shouldn’t be funky, just nutty and intense, when I go 28 days I won’t have to wait as long and be mad that I waited longer!

Tony,
Have you actually gone past 28 yet? Welcome back. I dont waste my time with anything less than 45 days. However, 28 is better than 0.

This seems like an awesome thing.  I read about those bags and had forgotten about them.  I can't get a great steak around here anymore, well filet, but not a ribeye.  This seems worthwhile if you have the patience (which is questionable if I do or my wife will for the space in the garage fridge)...

Walt said:
Tony,
Have you actually gone past 28 yet? Welcome back. I dont waste my time with anything less than 45 days. However, 28 is better than 0.

Sadly, no....  :(    It's the whole patience thing, cited above.  I will, though, just for you Walt!  28 is pretty tasty, though!

curegeorg said:
This seems worthwhile if you have the patience (which is questionable if I do or my wife will for the space in the garage fridge)...

It is actually best to put the umai bag/meat in your regular refrigerator. It needs to be in a refrigerator that gets opened regularly, because it needs good ventilation. So a garage or basement overflow fridge is not the best for dry aging.

SconnieQ, i am planning on dry aging a prime rib this spring.  I had thought that a constant temp was really important when dry aging and had assumed that the fridge should be dedicated not be opened frequently to maintain the constant temp. Am I wrong in this assumption?  Should the door be opened daily?

Roostershooter said:
SconnieQ, i am planning on dry aging a prime rib this spring.  I had thought that a constant temp was really important when dry aging and had assumed that the fridge should be dedicated not be opened frequently to maintain the constant temp. Am I wrong in this assumption?  Should the door be opened daily?

Actually that advice isn't exactly accurate. A fridge that doesn't get opened is okay, if it is a modern refrigerator with a fan/air circulation. Often times people have older refrigerators in their garage or basement that do not have good air circulation, or none at all, and that's a problem. Those small dorm size refrigerators are the worst. If yours has air circulation, then no need to worry. The fridge needs to maintain a temperature between 34-38F. If you are using your main refrigerator, opening the door is okay, as long as you don't stand there with the door open for long periods of time, or open the door with great frequency. If you have a lot of people in the household, a separate fridge would probably be a good idea.

Roostershooter said:

If you are using the Umai dry steak bags, this is not nearly as critical as "open air" dry aging.  Much more tolerance for the fridge being used as normal.

Roostershooter said:
I will be using Umai bags in a fridge in the garage.  The temp is 37 degrees, but no fan.  Thanks for the advice on air circulation!

I would use your regular refrigerator then, and move the beer :P (or other stuff) out to the garage fridge. Air circulation is key to dry-aging.

I contacted the frididaire folks and they said the the refridgerator has a fan that moves air from the freezer to the fresh food section.  Will that be enough air circulation for dry aging? 

Roostershooter said:
I contacted the frididaire folks and they said the the refridgerator has a fan that moves air from the freezer to the fresh food section.  Will that be enough air circulation for dry aging?

Rooster
Looks like key is that if the freezer compartment is "frost-free", you are good to go. This modern feature is what removes excess moisture from the air and keeps the meat from just rotting. Here is a really good link:
https://www.drybagsteak.com/blog/ask-maureen/2015/12/06/

And another little tidbit, although the link above is the most thorough information.

MYTH #4 DRY AGING can be done in a dedicated dorm/mini fridge. Dorm and mini fridges are basically electric coolers. They do not circulate air inside which is necessary for removing moisture from the surface of the meat. A modern frost free refrigerator has a fan that circulates the air inside and removes the moisture evaporated by various foods inside. Generally a mini fridge will trap the evaporating moisture inside and create very fertile environment for mold and bacteria.

Thats a great link!  Thanks!  the fridge is a 1992 model but the freezer is frost free.  I just assumed that there was no fan, but sounds like i am good to go.  I did not want to take up the kitchen fridge or ruin a primal prime rib either. 

Roostershooter said:
Thats a great link!  Thanks!  the fridge is a 1992 model but the freezer is frost free.  I just assumed that there was no fan, but sounds like i am good to go.  I did not want to take up the kitchen fridge or ruin a primal prime rib either.

Sounds like it will be fine then as long as it's in good working order. You might want to open/close the door every now and then, maybe once a day or so, just to recycle the air.

Back