35 day dry age of whole rib eye

Will Walt ACTUALLY make it 35 days??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By the way, I'm proud of you, buddy Walt!  I could not have made it this long!  21 days and I would have been grilling!

There is a visible difference between 3 & 4 weeks.  I can only assume it will translate to taste.  Maybe the trick is to cut it in half (or buy 2 if feasable) & pull 1 @ 21 days & the next @ 35. Just sayin.......

Its been a week, Jim.  I would expect you should have received your kit by now.  Time to start the 50 day ageing.  Or 28!

Walt said:
Its been a week, Jim.  I would expect you should have received your kit by now.  Time to start the 50 day ageing.  Or 28!

50 day??  You're trying to make my head explode, Walt! Hahahaha!! :o

Tomorrow is day 35.  The plan is to cook steaks on Thursday, day 37.  I will remove the rind & vacpac individual steaks Thursday.  Will report back soon.

Going to be cutting the rind off and cooking later today.  Been looking @ a few video's in preparation for doing this and learned something.  Initially i vacuum sealed and helped manually massage the air out.  This gave a pretty good seal but not quite as strong as I would have liked.  It is a huge piece of meat and a very large bag.  I have seen a couple of examples where right before the vacuum sealer is about to seal, the user stops & restarts the process.  This allowed for a much tighter initial seal.  Also, some recommend putting inside a panty hose for the 1st 4 to 5 days to assist in the initial bond.  However, no more than 5 days so the hose won't bond to the dry bag.  I'm not sure if it will really matter much because the meat looks great, even with only 70-80% adhesion. 

I will take a few pictures of the process during the trimming.  7 mouths to feed for the birthday festivities.  Can't wait!

The ribeye was a complete success.  The taste was superb.  I seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper & granulated garlic & cooked on the grill wide open.  Pulled the steaks @ 128 & let rest for 15 minutes.  They came out a perfect medium rare with a nice hard sear.  I cut the steaks about 1.25 to 1.5" thick.  A good sharp knife made trimming the rind fairly easy with minimal loss.  The piece originally was 16.7 lbs & lost a total of 2.3lbs from evaporation finishing up @ 14.4lbs prior to trimming.  Finished up after trimming @ 13.6lbs with 12 steaks.  We ate 5 between the 7 of us.  My tablet seems to have died so I will have to figure out how to post pictures another way.  Will update soon.

That's fantastic, Walt!  I can't wait to see the pictures (just can't get enough of them  ;) ).  The taste is incredible, huh?  Great job!

Attached are the final pictures.  Sorry for the picture quality.  Took them with my phone.  I did cut the tails off after that last shot.  The meaty shavings left in the bowl were cut into very small pieces.  I then bagged up small portions for dog treats.  5 bags of these in the freezer & 1 in the fridge.

Attachments

• Day 37 pic2 (1024x577).jpg
    Day 37 pic2 (1024x577).jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 618
  • Day 37 Walt Trim (577x1024).jpg
    Day 37 Walt Trim (577x1024).jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 601
  • Day 37 Trimmed (1024x577) (1024x577).jpg
    Day 37 Trimmed (1024x577) (1024x577).jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 615
  • Day 37 steaks pic1 (1024x577).jpg
    Day 37 steaks pic1 (1024x577).jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 621
  • Day 37 steaks pic2 (1024x577).jpg
    Day 37 steaks pic2 (1024x577).jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 601
Any ideas or suggestions for the trimmings?  The huge hunks of fat are left from the tails.  I was wondering if it could all be ground together & used like ground meat / sausage or cooked down (skimmed & strained) into a beef broth.  If not, the dogs are sure enjoying it.  I get this strange feeling I may be neglecting something that could be seriously tasty.....the shavings look like really nice beef jerky.

I can definitely see a difference in the 21-day and 37-day.  The main thing I see is the depth of the browning in the fat.  At 21-days, I didn't have to remove as much fat.  Btw, I trimmed the big hunk of fat at the tails (less flareup when cooking).  It would be interesting to taste the difference in the two.

Since your offering, send me one of yours & I'll let you know.:P  I cut the fat from the tails right after that photo & the weight loss numbers include removal for the trimming.

I would if I had any left, Walt! ;)  I think I'm going to get another one started this weekend (actually, Monday, when my new bags arrive).  We might have to work out a swap!

Back