3 butts to brine and smoke

Ok this hasn't happened to me before. My maverick is saying 195 on the small butt (5.3#) its been 5hrs exactly. I'm going to open up and check it. Maybe probe is not placed right. I didn't hit any stall, just a steady climb to 195. Hmm...  Opened up and checked probe and probed a couple other places. All showing 195 or so. No bark yet, I think I will let it go awhile longer.

Finally got finished up tonight. I guess I didn't have the probe placed just right. I had to open the door a couple times to get a better position. All turned out well in the end though. I did have some wood flare up, chard the smoke box and had some build up. I used fruita wood peach and cherry. Maybe a little to dry. I had to do some serious soaking and scrubbing on the shelves, rack holders and smoke box with a steel wool brillo pad.

I did notice the 2 brined butts were very moist and flavorful  :) no complaints there. I think I will brine from now on. The first 2 butts (5.3#, 8.4#) ended up taking about 10hrs and the last one (8.3#) took about 12hrs. A lot of work last couple of days for me but the results are worth it. I hope everyone at the wedding enjoys. I had a nice dinner tonight of pulled pork  :) Some pics of 3 nice butts and all shredded about 20lbs of meat:
Big thanks to all for the advice and the brine recipe!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    518.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    538 KB · Views: 348
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    518.8 KB · Views: 345
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    497.8 KB · Views: 343
That looks fantastic, Lance!! :P

To prevent wood combustion, I've started wrapping the bottom of the chunk in one layer of foil (leave the top uncovered)...works great!

Glad you like the brined butts!! ;D

Everyone loved the pork! They said you could really taste the nice smoke flavor. We had several sauces in condiment bottles also to add if wanted. Very happy wedding party  :). Girlfriend bought some store bought pulled pork with sauce already mixed in it cause she was afraid we wouldn't have enough. Nobody hardly touched it  ;). Home made is always better! 

Tony, you mean put foil on the bottom of each chunk of wood? I noticed the fruita wood doesn't burn up to ashes like the chunks from steve. Its black and somewhat burnt but not in ashes. Why would that be you think?

Snoopy said:
Tony, you mean put foil on the bottom of each chunk of wood? I noticed the fruita wood doesn't burn up to ashes like the chunks from steve. Its black and somewhat burnt but not in ashes. Why would that be you think?

The fruitawood has a higher moisture content than the dowels from Steve.  The dowels are actually dried more, but are dense enough that they smoke well.  A little foil helps more on those.  I usually don't get combustion with the fruitawood fruit woods, but have with their hardwoods.  I just foil the bottom of all my chunks now.

Back