2 Butts today

That looks fantastic, Don!  You are confirming my theory about butt temp (hehe...I said "butt temp")!  I have been pulling mine between 192-195, but no higher.  Haven't tried 190 yet, but will!  My theory is that once they get through the stall, and the temp starts climbing again, the cooking/tenderizing is pretty much complete.  After all, the stall is when the connective tissue and fat breaks down, and renders out of the meat!  So, if that process stops, it should be about finished.  The rise to 190 just finishes the cooking process.  Since I've had stalls in the 160s, 170s, and 180s, I don't think they are always "done" as soon as the stall completes.  That's why I still think the low 190s is the key temp.

I looked at my log for the last two pork butts I did and both were pulled wrapped at 190 degrees. Then put back in the smoker at 140 until it was time to pull them.

Both were spot on.
Greg

Great, Greg!  I bet we're on to something big, that will possibly rock the foundation of pork butt temp traditional thinking!  OK, I may be over-dramatizing a bit... ::)  The great part about wrapping it up at 190 is it saves a LOT of time!  Amazing how long that last 10 degrees takes sometimes!

My butts go in the smoker at 10:00-11:00 pm the night before.

They hit 190 degrees around by noon the next day, wrap and then back in the smoker at 140 degrees, until ready to pull 4-6 hours.

Or when they hit 195 degrees, pull wrap and put in the cooler for 1-2 hours.

Just my 2 cents, but in both cases the pork continues to cook and tenderize.

Greg

I think for most of us just starting out the stall is the hardest thing to wrap our head around.  When I first got my Masterbuilt a couple years ago I had a tendency to get impatient then panic and pull it only to find that it was ready. But, thankfully I've worked through that. Now I just grab another beer and watch another quarter of football.  :)

DivotMaker said:
Great, Greg!  I bet we're on to something big, that will possibly rock the foundation of pork butt temp traditional thinking!  OK, I may be over-dramatizing a bit... ::)  The great part about wrapping it up at 190 is it saves a LOT of time!  Amazing how long that last 10 degrees takes sometimes!

It's never over dramatization when there are pork butts involved...  ;)  ;)

BedouinBob said:
DivotMaker said:

It's never over dramatization when there are pork butts involved...  ;) ;)

Thanks Bob!  You're right, Sir!! ;D

I have also been pulling around the 190-192 area and wrapping in a cooler for at least 2 hours.  It mostly started because I got impatient after 190 because it climbs so slow (too close to our max of 250?), but it turned out better than the few I let go till 200 before wrapping and resting.

It's amazing how different the temps are when probing different parts of the butt.  I pulled one this morning at 193 and started testing other areas.  I had one spot as high as 198.

I have noticed this also Dave, as I normally will use the pocket therm. and stick the meat in 3 or 4 locations just to make sure it is done thru out. Or has the internal temp. I am looking for.

You should go by the lowest temp. Higher temps can be caused by temping in fat, near the bone, or near surface.

SuperDave said:
It's amazing how different the temps are when probing different parts of the butt.  I pulled one this morning at 193 and started testing other areas.  I had one spot as high as 198.

I just use one probe, center-mass, not touching the bone.  Simple, and always works.

Back