1st butt on my new #3

Pulled! I must say this was tasty, and the crowd loved it, but a Texas boy sure likes his brisket! Pork just doesn't compete. :-\

Attachments

• 20150705_152502.jpg
    20150705_152502.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 20150705_152451.jpg
    20150705_152451.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 321
Looks really good George!  I do have a question for the members, a lot of the pics of pork or brisket have a smoke rings but both times I've smoked I haven't gotten one, any reason why this might be?

The only time you're going to see a smoke ring out of an electric smoker is if it's faked with instacure in the brine. 

As a hint for those who would prefer to keep their boston butts in one piece until it has rested, wrap em with butcher's twine.  I've been doing that except for one time I forgot it and that was a mess.  I think that butt came out in 3 big pieces and a bunch of 'crumbs'.

mizzoufan said:
The only time you're going to see a smoke ring out of an electric smoker is if it's faked with instacure in the brine. 

As a hint for those who would prefer to keep their boston butts in one piece until it has rested, wrap em with butcher's twine.  I've been doing that except for one time I forgot it and that was a mess.  I think that butt came out in 3 big pieces and a bunch of 'crumbs'.

I don't bind mine, and never have one fall apart.  The secret is to not try and lift it off the shelf.  Lay your foil out, tilt the shelf at an angle, and gently slide the whole butt onto the foil.  A little gentle push sends the little jewel to the foil, all together!

DivotMaker said:
mizzoufan said:

I don't bind mine, and never have one fall apart.  The secret is to not try and lift it off the shelf.  Lay your foil out, tilt the shelf at an angle, and gently slide the whole butt onto the foil.  A little gentle push sends the little jewel to the foil, all together!
I pull the entire rack out and set it on a cookie sheet.  Then carry the cookie sheet into the kitchen. 

DivotMaker said:
SuperDave said:
I pull the entire rack out and set it on a cookie sheet.  Then carry the cookie sheet into the kitchen.
Once in the house with real counter space, spatulas work well.

But how do you get it off the rack, and onto the foil?

Spatulas still require lifting a really fragile hunk of meat.  Try the slide method, Dave, and let me know if it's easier! ;)

Back