1st Brisket..Success!!!

It was 5lb sections of belly. There was probably only 10 of each (belly & prime brisket) out & they still had the normal supply of choice & select briskets as well. I will be returning this week so I see if its consistent.

EFGM said:
Kari, I will check out the Dallas Sams on Monday and I am anticipating a reply about Costco sometime a Monday as well.

Well, I didn't make it on Monday, but did check out Sams today. They did have small pork bellys, qty of 4, but nothing but select packers and choice flats.

EFGM said:
EFGM said:
Kari, I will check out the Dallas Sams on Monday and I am anticipating a reply about Costco sometime a Monday as well.

Well, I didn't make it on Monday, but did check out Sams today. They did have small pork bellys, qty of 4, but nothing but select packers and choice flats.

I'd avoid those Select briskets. I haven't made it to my Costco yet, but will report back.

What I am told is that Prime Grade Packers are in short supply so they will funnel them to the stores who sell the most. Smart business decision I would say. I'm also happy to say that Texas is a big Briskitarian market. Guess that explains the higher pricing on them as well. Still $3.99 a pound yesterday.

I'd avoid those Select briskets. I haven't made it to my Costco yet, but will report back.

I've actually had really good luck with them...  not a bad one yet.  The biggest issue I've had lately at Sam's Club is finding one where the flat is nearly non-existent.  The flat on many of them has to be somewhat less than an inch thick and half of that is fat cap.

LarryD said:

I've actually had really good luck with them...  not a bad one yet.  The biggest issue I've had lately at Sam's Club is finding one where the flat is nearly non-existent.  The flat on many of them has to be somewhat less than an inch thick and half of that is fat cap.

The point is my favorite part, so if they are cheap enough, that would be okay with me. They'd have to be cheap to cheat you on the flat meat though.

Talked to someone in the meat department at my Costco today, and confirmed that there is a serious shortage of Prime whole Packer briskets. In the meantime, many Costcos are carrying Choice whole Packers. They had plenty at my store, and they looked good. Once the Prime Packers start coming back, they will go to higher-sales Costcos in large urban areas first, then eventually will be stocked again in all. They could not tell me how long that would be, but seemed positive that they WILL eventually have them again, which is good news for my membership. It's one of the main reasons I have a membership to Costco.

Kari, that is the same story I got from via a friend from their corporate. Also said that only 6% were rated prime. (not sure about that) Since I have found some Same Clubs in DFW are in fact now stocking Prime, I'm wondering if that change is perhaps what is causing this shortage. (Just thinking out loud) Costco label is IBPC and Sam's is Excel.

I have also heard that only around 3-6 percent of beef is rated Prime. That does make me wonder about Sam's having an impact on that. Also, there is a huge increase in the popularity of BBQ and smoking. And then there's the fact that there are only 2 briskets per animal. :)

Back