12.5lb Brisket This weekend.

elkins20 said:
Hey Aaron, how did you sharpen your knife. I really need to do some of my knifes but afraid to tackle that.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Chefs Choice Sharpener. I have had one for over 15 (maybe 20) years and it still works like new. Simple to use and perfect for all you kitchen knifes. Just remember to let the wife know that you just sharpened the knifes, they will be sharp!

http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-110-Professional-Sharpener/dp/B00004S1B9/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435167493&sr=8-2&keywords=Edgecraft+Chef%27s+Choice+110+Diamond+Hone+3+Stage+Professional+Knife+Sharpener

Greg

I too have used the Chef's Choice knife sharpeners for many years and they are excellent. They also make a sharpener for Asian edged knives for those of us with santoku style knives.

elkins20 said:
Hey Aaron, how did you sharpen your knife. I really need to do some of my knifes but afraid to tackle that.

I'm sure the replies from others are great, but I use a KME sharpener. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GEGK00?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00  When you want to control the angle of grind, and provide a mirror sharp finish, it fits the bill. I have a block full of knives that are absolutely razor sharp. The guys who make the KME really remind me of the SI folks. Good company, turning out a good product that they're proud of, and stand behind. I've used tons of other sharpeners in the past, but many don't account for the fact that different knives need to be sharpened at different angles. Being able to lock down the blade and move the stone against it makes it very easy to maintain the same angle across the entire length of the blade, and throughout the whole sharpening process.

Has anyone used the Ken Onion system, it looks pretty good and can sharpen tools also. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200615233_200615233?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Power%20Tools%20%3E%20Sharpeners%20%2B%20Accessories&utm_campaign=Work%20Sharp&utm_content=41587&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=41587&gclid=Cj0KEQjwza6sBRCMiaaPtY_c2tIBEiQAacj5I5LVzVJvyXmMv1_1o4oUuqfOd_dE5hGn4pPnCrEbwnEaArcm8P8HAQ

So, since this is the second motor driven sharpener that's come up.. let me chime in with my .02. I've got some good friends in metal fabrication, metal focused artwork, and metallurgy. They advise against using a motor driven sharpener due to removing too much material quickly, and toying with the heat temper of the metal. For regular knife maintenance, I find that the KME is very quick and you control exactly how much material is removed by using light pressure and easy strokes. I can sharpen a 12" chef's knife in a couple of minutes without removing a bunch of material. Conversely, if the knife is damaged, I can easy change out my stone to a different grit and make short work of powering through a bad spot on the blade, or even reshaping the blade or changing the degree of grind.

This is my personal experience, and the advice of people who work with metals on a daily basis. The same people that suggested getting my EDC Benchmade knife made of M390 steel. On that note, even though the M390 steel is the best out there for keeping a good finish, and a sharp edge even with regular abuse, Benchmade will not warranty the knife if any motor driven sharpener has been used on the blade.

Aaron, I wouldn't argue your statements but would argue that a non motorized sharpener in the hands of someone not trained in how to sharpen on a stone is worse than sharpening on a motorized sharpener. 

elkins20 said:
Has anyone used the Ken Onion system, it looks pretty good and can sharpen tools also.

Save some money and just get the Work Sharp I mentioned - same thing, just without the Ken Onion premium price.  And Aaron - once the original edge is put on, you pretty much just use the 6,000 grit honing belt for maintenance; not much material removed with that, and it yields a very sharp knife. 

Back