10 lb. pork butt ready for smoker

As a side note, I normally fill my water pan half full. This morning when I went to clean out the smoker, I noticed that the water pan was totally dry.

Next time I will fill it fuller!

Greg

Holy S@#t!!! Looks great. I'm hoping mine turns out 1/2 as nice. Might put mine in a little earlier based on your experience.

gregbooras said:
Wow this baby took forever to come up to temp and for the last hour I cranked up the heat. The 10 lb. butt took 17 hours and 45 minutes. I splashed it with a mix of apple juice and water and wrapped in foil. It is now resting in the cooler with towels, it looks good and man I am ready to give it a try!

Greg
sounds similar to the smoke i just did.  8lb butt 15hrs 30 min.  Didnt inject or brine. Was my first try on the new smoker. It was good but a tiny bit dry. Nect time ill inject.

nhns4 said:
How much wood did you use?  I see a nice smoke ring.

Nick for wood I used 3.4 oz. Cherry/2.2 oz. Hickory wood. With an electric smoker you will not get a smoke ring.  But if you add 1 t. #1 pink cure to your brine you get what like like the ring (note the smoke ring does nothing for flavor). If you are interested you can buy the #1 cure on amazon.

Greg

The last couple I have done, I did away with the brine and just injected. I mixed apple juice and melted butter and some of the rub (Famous Dave's rib rub). I have a magic bullet mixer that I put the rub in to make it a finer texture to get through the syringe. They have turned out great this way. Great flavor all the way through.

bigbassnutt said:
The last couple I have done, I did away with the brine and just injected. I mixed apple juice and melted butter and some of the rub (Famous Dave's rib rub). I have a magic bullet mixer that I put the rub in to make it a finer texture to get through the syringe. They have turned out great this way. Great flavor all the way through.

Mike,

Until I bought this smoker, I always just injected, but adding the brine at least for me takes it to a new level.

Greg

When you have a 10 lb. pork butt (at least in our house) there is always leftovers. My last smoke, I made burritos with the leftover pork and they turned out great.

This time I shared some with the neighbors and we had some leftovers tonight. I reheated the pork in the oven with a bit of apple juice and water. Overall still a good dinner, but the smoke level taste increased and in the end you can not beat fresh pulled pork (brisket another story... ).

Greg

Back