Author Topic: Rookie Smoker Series - Brisket advice  (Read 9669 times)

Booray

• Greg
Rookie Smoker Series - Brisket advice
« on: June 30, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »
Just ordered a 12-13lb packer brisket. Was hoping for a couple of pointers.

Was planning on injecting and rubbing Wednesday night and put in the smoker Thursday night for an overnight cook (midnight to noon Friday). Plan on serving around 3 or 4 pm. Do these times sound about right? Also:

1) will this bad boy fit in the #2
2) many different ways to prep, does any of the recipes posted stand out from the others?
I'm sure I'll have other questions as the process progresses.

Thanks in advance.
Greg from Ohio

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Rookie Smoker Series - Brisket advice
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »
Hey Greg, I've fit a 12 lb briskie in the #2, but it's all about the length.  I've seen 12 pounders that were 15-16" long, and some that are about 18"!  That's why I like to hand-pick my briskets!  I like the "short and stout" models! ;)

Lots of great brisket methods here, from simple salt/pepper/smoke it, to complex - your choice!  I've gone to brining briskets, and really like the results.  I use my pork butt brine, then coat with Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning (of course, other rubs will work), and smoke with mesquite.  Here's my first brined:

Brined Whole Brisket

Walt has a great method, too, but requires a lot more time:

Walt's Brined and Injected Brisket

As you can see, lots of ways to go!  Try a few methods, and see what works best for you.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Booray

• Greg
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:10:27 PM »
Thanks Tony for the links. I will definitely do my research tonight.
Greg from Ohio

mizzoufan

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:34:20 AM »
I'm with Tony.  I brine for ~24 hours usually then inject and rub with a mix of dalmatian and my homemade base rub (mostly for butts, everything else seems to get something added to the base).  Smoke at 235 and plan for 1.5 hrs/lb but expect right around 1 hr/lb, rest for 1-4 hours double foiled and wrapped in towels placed in a cooler.

For briskets or butts, I really haven't noticed much difference with some fridge time after injecting/rubbing but sometimes do so depending on the timing.
Steven from KCMO

Booray

• Greg
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
Thanks Steven.  That is the issue I'm running into, timing.  I maybe starting a day too late.

I plan on brining from Wed 3pm to Thurs 3pm using Tony's brine. Rinse, dry, inject, mustard coat, rub then wrap for 7 hours (Thursday 11pm). Put in smoker at 11 pm at 225.

Does that sound like I'm on the right track?
Greg from Ohio

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:05 AM »
I brine overnight. Inject and rub a few hours before going in the smoker.  I don't see value in the injection spending additional time in the meat. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Booray

• Greg
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 10:14:03 AM »
Even better for me then. Thanks Dave.
Greg from Ohio

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »
A brisket that size should brine fine in 10-12 hours.  If you add a little pink salt (#1 Instacure), you'll see how deep the brine penetrates after you smoke it - the faux smoke ring shows how far it went in! ;)   You can then adjust to your taste.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Booray

• Greg
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 11:55:52 AM »
12.5 lb packer is brining as we speak/type.  Going to inject with Tony's mix.  Since it's my first brisket I was thinking of doing a salt and pepper rub, what do you guys think?
Greg from Ohio

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 12:00:31 PM »
I was thinking of doing a salt and pepper rub, what do you guys think?
Simple is good but a little garlic powder and onion powder would be my recommendation for additions to the salt & pepper. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 07:44:05 PM »
You're definitely on the right track, Greg!  Lots of folks swear by "Dalmatian rub" on brisket (equal parts kosher salt and black pepper), but I personally find that too much black pepper.  Use Dave's idea, and cut back the black pepper a bit (with the addition of granulated garlic and onion powder).  You can also include a little cayenne in the rub! ;) :o
Tony from NW Arkansas

Booray

• Greg
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 07:26:00 AM »
Brisket has been on for 7 1/2 hours @ 225. Already reached 176 IT. I was planning on serving around 5 pm. Here's my question: let's say it get to 195 around 11 am or noon, what's the best way to hold that until 5 pm without over cooking?

Thanks guys.
Greg from Ohio

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 08:02:28 AM »
Brisket has been on for 7 1/2 hours @ 225. Already reached 176 IT. I was planning on serving around 5 pm. Here's my question: let's say it get to 195 around 11 am or noon, what's the best way to hold that until 5 pm without over cooking?

Thanks guys.

Take the brisket out of the smoker, double wrap in foil. Turn smoker down to 140 degrees (leave door open for a few minutes to let the temp drop) return brisket to smoker. Remove when you are ready to eat!

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 08:02:32 AM »
One option is to double wrap in foil and place in a cooler with towels around it...the meat should easily hold for 4 hours or so until you will be getting ready to serve.    Another way of maintaining a "warm and hold" for the time is to wrap in foil and place back in the smoker with the smoker temp lowered to 140F.   If you take this option, keep the door open for a bit to release some temp so it cools down to 140F.   If you take the smoker hold option, then you will not need to do the 2 hour rest since it is in essence resting in the smoker.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Booray

• Greg
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 08:08:09 AM »
Thanks fellas, I'll keep you updated. 
Greg from Ohio