Author Topic: Walts brined & injected brisket  (Read 15906 times)

Walt

Walts brined & injected brisket
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:57:25 PM »
TUESDAY

Time for another brisket.  I am going to start this off with an equilibrium brine as follows:
6.33lb flat x 453.592 grams per lb = 2871.2 gram flat
So my solution has to equal that numerical weight in grams.  As per Martins formula (default settings 2% salt 1% sugar) I needed 57.88 grams of salt (the instacure#1 was also substituted by salt), 28.71 grams of sugar.  In addition I added 1 TBSP each of granulated garilc, granulated onion & black pepper, 1 Tsp each of coriander, cayanne, chipolte & paprika & 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar.  I zeroed out my scale with my container on it & added all ingrediants finishing off with hot water until I had 2871.2 grams of solution.  I then cooled it down in the fridge.  Once cool I added the brisket & vacuum sealed it.  Into the fridge it goes...

FRIDAY

This morning I removed the brisket from the equilibrium brine, 2 1/2 days.  Wasn't worried about overbrineing it since it was an equilibrium brine.  Injected it with a garlic mojo dituted with applejuice.  The mojo is from UWFSAE (Joe);

30 cloves garlic
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup each lime juice, lemon juice, olive oil
1 TBSP each mexican oregano, black pepper
2 TSP each kosher salt, cumin
1 TSP each orange & lime zest

Applied yellow mustard & cane syrup as a binder and added rub.  Put it back into the same vacuum bag, cleaned the lip & resealed it.  Sealed fine.  Plan on smoking Saturday.

SATURDAY

Removed from vacuum bag and reapplied more rub to both sides & placed on rack (see 2nd picture below). I used 6.3 oz Jack daniels oak barrel & cherry (50/50 mix) & apple juice with a shot of Jack Daniels in the flavor saver. @ 0800 I set the thermostat to 225.  As a side note, the weight prior to brineing was 6.33 lbs & after was 7.0 lbs.  I am expecting this cook to take about 8 hours to reach 200 deg.

8h 20m cooking it hit 200 deg. Nice bark & its oozing moisture.  Double wrapped in foil & starting to cook the sides.  The final weight after rendered was 3lb 14oz.  Lost 2lb 8oz during cook.  This method really works.  Moist, full of flavor, tender & the fat disolves on your tongue.

Its hard to beat this one!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:58:06 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Walts brined & injected brisket
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:40:51 AM »
Nice!  Can't wait to hear the results on this one!  How long you planning on keeping it in the brine?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
I'm going to smoke it this weekend so I will drain Thursday night (2 days) inject it with a mojo diluted with apple juice rub it with both cane syrup & yellow mustard, apply rub, wrap in plastic wrap & let sit & cook either Friday or Saturday.  I'm a sucker for the multi day preparation allowing it time to get happy before rendering it.  I believe the preparation is the most important step for us since the unit itself requires so little attention.  The build-up and anticipation are all part of the fun!
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:59:57 PM »
Wow!  That's quite a pregame routine you have there! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 01:13:07 PM »
Looking good, Walt! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 07:59:20 PM »
All done.  I edited the original post throughout the process.  It was teriffic!
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »
Looks really good, Walt!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 03:16:10 AM »
Its 2am, I just put another of these 6 lb flats in for Mothers Day tomorrow. Should be ready for the double foil wrap at about 10am & noon eat time.  Same process as done above.  Cant wait.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 11:18:49 PM »
Thanks for the details steps and for posting your method.  That is a nice looking brisket. Well done.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Walt

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 12:42:42 AM »
It was a hit.  Happy to contribute, Tony.  The final product is always superb, done this way.  I think it is THE singular best thing I cook in the #2.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »
I have 2 large packer briskets in the freezer, I am waiting for an opportunity to smoke one.  I want to serve it sliced and noticed that you smoked it to 200 degrees internally.  I thought this was the desired temp for pulled brisket.  What is the desired temp for pulled vs sliced brisket?
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Walt

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 10:55:55 PM »
I have no issue sliceing it @ 200 with a sharp grantham knife.  It is very tender but still holds together & the fat melts in your mouth (no chew to it).  I think it is more common to cook it to a lower temperature but I prefer it @ 200 & the compliments I get pertaining to moisture & tenderness are steady.  I have never pulled a brisket, so I can't honestly answer your question.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 07:04:53 PM »
Hey Walt, planning a brisket in a couple of weeks. I have a couple of questions:
  • Do you recommend smaller briskets or is that just what you had?
  • I am confused on the recipe. Was the 30 cloves garlic, etc. for the Mojo? I assume you strained it to be able to inject?
  • What did you use for the rub?
I am subjecting a group of friends (May be short lived if this goes bad 😳) as my guinea pigs for my first try. I am sure they will forgive me. 😊
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Walt

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 09:40:52 PM »
I cook the flats that are in the 6 to 7 lb range.  Have not had a need for more meat yet & these are easily available around here. 

The Mojo recipe was from another forum members (Joe, UWFSAE) posting. Its a good starting point.  I blended the mixture as smooth as I could make it and keep it in the refrigerator. Its used in whatever I think might benefit from a spoonful of it.  I blend a few spoonful's of it with apple juice and a shot of cider vinegar.  Then inject with a large bore needle.

The rub I use is my variation on a rub, I think, of Tony's (DM).

1 C Brown Sugar
1 C Sea Salt
1/2 C Paprika
3 TBSP Garlic Powder
3 TBSP Onion Powder
3 TSP Black Pepper
1 TSP Chipotle Pepper
1 TSP Ancho Pepper
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TSP Cumin
1 TSP Coriander

I find the heat in this rub is mild and have never had any negative comments.  In fact I usually go a bit heavier on the pepper components.  When I give someone a bottle it is made exactly as indicated above.  I do get quite a few requests for the recipe.

Follow the basic procedure (brine, inject, apply binder and rub, 5-6oz wood of your choice, pan of juice, 225 until 195-200, double wrap in foil & stuff in cooler with towels for an hour or two) and change any of the seasonings to your likeing.  It WILL be the best brisket you have ever eaten.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Walt

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »
Also, under the Brines, Marinades, etc. section, DivotMaster (one of the Tony's) posted a topic on "Brines 101".  in this post is a shortcut to Martin's (DiggingDogFarm) formula for an equilibrium brine.  This is a great tool.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill