Wild Hog Shoulder

TexasSMK

Question to follow--Gentlemen, I have a basic plan for the Wild Hog Shoulder:  Brined last night, will smoke tonight.  Plan to use 225 for 1.5 to two hours per pound with cherry and a little hickory.  My Question IS:  Any one smoke a wild shoulder before, it is definitely leaner.  I have some pork fat I am thinking of laying across the top of the shoulder. 

How much does it weigh? Do you have a remote thermometer? If you do then be sure to watch it carefully. 1.5 to 2 hrs per pound is about right. You could wrap it in bacon if you are worried about drying to much. I wouldn't think it would.  Put a pan of liquid against the firebox and that will help. Being lean like it is will probably cause it to finish faster than normal so keep an eye on it. 
Pork shoulders are very forgiving. Even lean ones. Good luck

I might guess the opposite of Dale and think that the muscle tissue of a wild hog would take longer to break down.  But it will be interesting to hear you report back from this experiment.  Being lean, I would definitely both brine and inject.  I'm curious if this will be more roast like.  Was it a big or small hog? 

Sorry for the late reply gentlemen.  8 lbs.  I do have a remote thermometer, but plan to smoke over night, have to have ready for a Ravens/Steeler tailgate pulling it around 0730-hopefully.  I had some pork fat that I sliced and laid over the top of it to help the cause.  Hog weighed right at 300lbs.  Here a is a picture after mustard and rub, and one with the sliced fat on it. 

Attachments

• Wild Hog Shoulder .JPG
    Wild Hog Shoulder .JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 320
  • Wild Hog Shoulder with fat Added.JPG
    Wild Hog Shoulder with fat Added.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 326
300 lbs is a big hog. My fingers are crossed that it tastes good. Hogs that size are usually candidates for sausage. Good luck and hope it goes well.

I followed your advise Dave--also injected it with a concoction of butter and rub mixed in.  Tailgaters can be a finicky group--Adding extra beer to my cooler--that should take care of any issues with the crowd.
It just hit 180 at 0530--timing at least appears to be right. 

Update, pulled at 0730--timing worked out great.  Smell and appearance incredible!  The shoulder felt a little stiff.  Double foiled it and put in the cooler to rest.  Will update photos sometimes after the game.  Fingers crossed. 

Hope all goes well at your party. Looking forward to the pics! How many hrs did you smoke it?

Smoked it about 11.5 hours, pulled at IT of 187 double wrapped in foil and let rest in my cooler for 2 hours. Turned out a little tough, did not shred well at all, seemed a little dry too.  Taste was good though.  Poured a little beer in it and heated it up at the tailgate--was edible, but not what I am used to.  Not recommending Wild Hog, to lean. 

I am thinking the Wild Hog Shoulder might have been better as a slicer since it was so lean. For anyone else contemplating this, I would smoke like a normal pork butt using a brine for sure and also inject would be great. Smoke until the internal temp hits 170, rest for 1-4 hours, and then slice. My guess is that this would make awesome pork sammies!

I do the same thing occasionally with picnic roasts that are leaner and typically used for sliced pork instead of pulled pork.

I did smoke a 25lb Boston Butt (I am serious. I weighed it) from a 600-pound domestic hog and it was pretty tough as well. I would much rather smoke multiple 7-9lb Boston Butts versus one big one.

I would smoke it until IT 150. Remove and place in a dutch oven with a cup of stock and plenty of garlic & onion. Braise until falling apart.

Walt said:
I would smoke it until IT 150. Remove and place in a dutch oven with a cup of stock and plenty of garlic & onion. Braise until falling apart.

+1 to the braise. I think that's the best method for meats like this.

It wasn't that it was to tough per-say, it was difficult to shred.  It ate just fine.  I think sliced into sandwiches would be great.  I like the braised idea as well.  It is not that it was terrible, just my experiences with domestic shoulders where better.  A slice with some gravy on it would have made an outstanding opened faced sandwich.  I have another shoulder yet, I will give one of the above ideas a try.  Starting to slobber a little thinking about it.    :o

It's always a fun "learning experience," Dale!  Now you know what to do different, next time you have a wild hog shoulder!

Back