Whole Brisket in the #2

Boone

Doing a whole brisket in the #2 this weekend. It was about 17# before trimming. After trimming I separated the point from the flat so that it would fit in the smoker. I injected both parts and placed the flat on the top shelf and the point below.  Set the Auber to 225 with the Auber meat probe in the flat and placed my Maverick probe in the point. After about 4 hours the point had an internal temperature of 168 while the flat was at 154 at which time I foiled both parts. The point reached an internal temperature of 198 at the 7 hour mark and was fork tender so I removed it at that time. Let it rest for 2 hours before slicing and it was near perfect.

It’s now about 11 hours into the cook and the flat is only at an internal temperature of 190. I wouldn’t have expected such a difference in times between the two parts. I never did a whole brisket before as I usually made Pastrami out of the one half. I inserted the Maverick meat probe into the flat also after the point was removed to make sure there wasn’t a problem with the Auber probe. Everything is fine. I just find this puzzling

Not surprising Boon. About an hour per pound is expected. And the meats done when the thermometer says it is for brisket and butt. :)

Back