When mama's away

SuperDave

My wife is going to be away for a week visiting our daughter in Las Vegas, so, I decided I better prepare some food to live off of this week.  Made the small pork butt that I got at Sam's and it was pretty fantastic.  I've even been converted from Costco butts to Sam's butts now based on the last few smokes.  I did a brine and injection combo on this butt.  The end result was a moist pull throughout.  Smoke temp was 235 for 5 hours, juiced and pan foiled in the oven for 2.5 hours at 250 and rested for 2 hours. IT was 195. 

Porkbutt1_zpscp7jdzlr.jpg

Porkbutt2_zps44ovnv4n.jpg

Porkbutt3_zpsd67dxxf6.jpg

Porkbutt4_zpsct8cguar.jpg

Greg,
I crutch almost everything.  Based on personal tastes, I feel like I've given both methods fair number of tries and just think that the crutch produces a moister product.  I also have about a 10 - 12 hour max limit on my cook times so faster and moister is my standard procedure. 

Hey Dave,

While I am not looking to finish my smokes in the oven, I am looking at doing a few tests with butcher paper.

On my next two brisket tests (traveling so in the next two weeks or so), I am planning on wrapping in the 150-160 range with peach paper (Franklin style).

One of my briskets will be an Angus and the next..... I am planning to spend $100.00 on break the bank and buy something special.

I will let you know what I select for the test!

Greg

Hey Dave, Was wondering why you also used the oven. I have followed like you do with the crutch except I just use the smoker. And with the auber can put it up to 250 with no problem. It seems to work out fine for me. Next time when I do the crutch on a BB will add apple juice rather than left over injection liquid. I am going to try a BB from restaurant depot just to see how theirs are. But, I really enjoy getting them at Sam's

Hey Dave, are you sure you don't want company while Mama is away? Looks great. You will obviously be eating good! Thanks for sharing.

Back