What is your favorite ham recipe?

MC1960

My wife bought a Smithfield butt half ham, says it is hardwood smoked fully cooked 8+ pounds. How would you prepare,smoke,and glaze it? Thanks Mark

For home and the family I make my own hams, https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1986.15

At work I would score the top of that Smithfield in one inch squares and toss it in the smoker at 250. I take them out after 3.5-4 hours when they are warmed through. The is no recipe, somebody else already made it into Ham, it just needs heated and flavored.

You can glaze it with what ever tastes good to you.

This is from an old post of mine of ham that was smoked for Thanksgiving.

I just wanted to share how I calculated my cooking time for those that may not know.
The book said around 20 minutes per pound at 325.
I had a 11 pound half ham bone-in so I took 11 X 20 X 325 = 71500
I then took the 71500/225 (or whatever temp you cook at) =317.7
This is how many minutes @ 225 you then divide this by 60 to get 5.3 hours

It came smoked with maple, I finished it up with cherry and way more people ate it than the turkey baked the conventional way.

This is my go to ham recipe:

1. Coat the outside of our ham with Honey Dijon mustard and then lightly dust your ham with brown sugar. (Don’t go to heavy here, you will come back and add another, heavier coating of brown sugar later.) This will create a “paste” on your ham.

2. Add a few chunks of wood to your smoker and smoke the ham for two (2) hours at 225 degrees. After 2 hours take it off the smoker and wrap in aluminum foil. Before you close the aluminum foil completely, you want to baste the ham with the pineapple juice.

3. Once I have basted the ham with pineapple juice and wrapped it in aluminum foil, I place it back on the smoker and allow it to cook for another hour at 225 degrees.

4. Unwrap the top of the ham, but keep it sitting in the foil to keep the juices from spilling. Now that the ham is exposed, sprinkle brown sugar over the entire outside again. Once your ham is covered in brown sugar, spray it really well with the pineapple juice. This will cause the brown sugar to dissolve and the heat from the smoker will create a delicious glaze. Place back on the smoker for another hour while you allow the sugar and the juice to create your glaze.

5. At the four hour mark your ham is ready to come off of the smoker and loosely tent with foil while you allow it to rest for 20-30 minutes before carving. 

Back