Two racks of spare ribs

drains

Haven't smoked any spares in a while so when I stopped in at Kroger in a town north of me I saw they had spares for 1.29 a pound. Grabbed up a couple racks and a few other items and made a bee line for the hacienda to dress those babies up and introduce them to the ole #3. Rinsed and dried them off and then applied honey as a binder then a layer of seasoned salt and brown sugar ground fine together in the blender. Into the smoker with 2 ounces of ash and 2 ounces of hickory temp set at 225. I'll check on them at the 5 1/2 hour mark and probably apply a generous coating of sweet baby rays. Six hours is usually about perfect for the spares I have done but these were a little larger than usual so the times I noted may be off a bit, we'll see. I didn't take any before pics but will post some after the fact so stand by and I'll be  back with some pics. Have a great weekend everybody!

Ribs turned out ok but think I will stick to baby backs or St. Louis cut for a while. This batch of full spares were somewhat fatty.  When I do full spares again I'll go to 235 as my temp instead of 225 like I did this time. The bark was ok but just a tad salty so need to adjust that. The two racks were in the smoker a total of 6 1/2 hours start to finish. Overall a successful effort but need to make a few improvements to my process for smoking spares as they are not as uniform in size like BBS and St. Louis cuts. Pics below are from an iPad so not RG quality.😉

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 416
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 389
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 395
I would eat them!  They look really good.  And a great price also.
My local grocery store had St. Louis ribs for $1.97 a pound last week.  Got a few in the freezer but should have got more. 

Thats some great looking spares Dale.  Great eatin with football too.  I think I paid about twice that for spaes at Sams last week so heck of a price.

Thanks. They were eaten and no one complained at all. I know they could have been better though. Making adjustments is just part of the process.

Back