Two butts tied together?

This one is out of my league Polish Q...I'm sure the guys here can fix you right up...I'm interested on the answer myself...
Good Luck with your Smoke..
Tony

Indeed.

Separate it shall be.

4am wake start shoulders. Jog. 5am leave for baseball tournament ... For seven year olds seems young but oh well... Then return at 4pm to wrap and rest.  Serve at 6pm camp fire.

L a z y q u e.  :-)

Careful though, Steve - 2 separate 5 pounders could be done in 5 hours.  I rarely go longer than 1 hour per pound on butts, but these could take longer.  As you know, Lazy Q is my theme song, but you still have to be on top of it! ;)  12 hours, without monitoring, could spell disaster!

I also think that is too long of a smoke if the butts aren't trussed together. If you truss them side to side that leaves a lot of surface area for bark and gives good mass.

You could go 12 hours on the separate butts if you backed the heat way down into the 200-220 range.

If you have someone at the house you can have update you on IT, then by all means run them separate and 235-240.

At 235-240' you are looking at 8 hours max most likely 7 hours. Last sunday did a 7.7# took 10 hr. 10 minutes at 240 to reach it 201.

Be careful.

On at 4AM and at 3PM sat at 171F while going with a temp of 230F. Had to bump up temp to 275 and foil to get to 203F by 6PM. I have done this before with a single 12lb butt without any issue. Then let it rest for 2 hours.

Turned out okay. But I won't split again. The reason was it was a bit dry even with brining. I think the issue with smaller butt in general is the first layer that seals in the juice just under the layer of bark is about a quarter inch thick and typically a little dry. Well... But going with one large butt you minimize this if that makes sense.

In general this is just my preference.

Well the verdict was no leftovers. In addition 4 dozen wings from a local pub were also consumed along with some items to wash all that goodness down.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like it came out OK, Steve!  I was worried about the long time with the 2 pieces.  I agree that one large hunk cooks a lot better than 2 small ones!

I wonder if it's not doing more harm than good bumping the heat. We are always going to loose some juice (moisture) when cooking.

We rest the meat to allow things to settle down and rehydrate. By bumping the heat on an already hot activity juicing hunk of meat I think we might be increasing the amount of draining or moisture loss.

In my opinion 200 is not the target IT. A good solid 195 will be 200 if properly wrapped and rested. I believe the correct term is carryover cooking.

I'm with ya there Brian. I have switched over to 195 on my last few pork butt smokes and have had awesome results.

At 195 it is plenty done to pull and going from 195 to 200+ can take 1-3 hours and I think that extra 5 degrees actually dried it out a bit when you figure you have 3-5 degrees additional that you will get during the resting period.

Totally concur on the 195 for butts, guys!  I've gone higher, and lower, looking for the "sweet spot," and have found it at 195 with a nice wrap & rest for the carry-over cooking!  I've done beef and poultry like this for years, and have found it to be just as valuable with the old pork butt!

Back