Trimming and Probing

Petey

Greetings All knowing board from the cold Northeast!

I have 2 questions prior to my 1st attempt at smoking a butt.

1. What and how to trim the pork butt?
2. Where is the best position or location for the temperature probes? I have 4 available if that many are even necessary...?

Thx to all who make this forum community such a wonderful place to reference for everything!

Best wishes,

Justin

Justin, ive done many butts and never trimmed a thing.  I only use one probe centered in the thickest part making sure to not contact the bone (if it’s not a boneless).  Others may have different opinions or methods but this has always worked for me.  Good luck and stay warm!

I always EQ brine Butts for a couple of days, rub and smoke with 6 or 7 oz. hickory at either 225 or 235 depending on the time factor ( how late I want to stay up to put them on ). The rest I'm with Jim on other than I use the smoker probe 3.5D  and one from my Fire Board so I can check IT anytime anywhere. It is hard to screw up a Butt in a Smokin It.

I trim so that there's no more than 1/4" of fat anywhere ... a good read on fat caps https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myth-melting-fat-cap-penetrates-meat

Interesting and accurate article but in a way, a off topic. No one said the fat is absorbed.

I cook more butts in a day than most people cook in a year. I see the positive affect the fat cap has on the finished product.

The melted fat cap is not absorbed, but it insulates, protects and keeps moisture in the butt.

For best results cooking butts, trim any funky looking crap on the underside but do not remove the fat cap.

Does trimming a butt for competition improve the taste or, is it just for show / presentation?

In the videos I've watched they remove quite a bit. The competition trim has me curious about the taste and tenderness of the "Money Muscle". I'm only quoting this from the video and have no idea if I could tell it from the rest of the butt if it was pulled and mixed in with the entire butt.

Back