Tonight's Brisket

• Thread starter Thread starter capsfan
  • Start date Start date
C

capsfan

4.58 lb Costco brisket Flat cut it was already trimmed well.

Salted meat side for two hours

Pumped with beef broth.

Rubbed both sides with
Big Bad Beef Rub but decided to add a tsp of cumin
3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder
1 teaspoon cumin

Wrapped and put back in fridge overnight

I put the Brisket in at 225 at 0700 hours with 5 oz of hickory.
At 0830 I decided I wanted breakfast so I decided to smoke some eggs (see post).
Opening the door at 0900 ( I know Tony Im not supposed to do that, don’t yell at me haha). I also put a can of Baked beans in a tin with chopped up Canadian Bacon I had leftover from breakfast menu.    This may have caused the meat to stall a little early.  It got stuck at 145  for about an hour. Around 1200 decided I was definitely in the stall.  Put it in a pan and foiled with a small bottle of Pinot Noir as the braise liquid.  Took out the beans and put in the oven to reheat later.
Seems like the foiling did the trick.  I have quickly climbed 15 degrees in 45 minutes.

Pulled at it 200 @ 1300 hours thought it was a little soon so double checked in other spots with pen thermometer which register 189. Back in the smoker.  Seemed like it stalled again at 189 for at least an hour.  Hated to open door again, but I did and found foil had come loose.  Tightened it down and temp started to rise again.

Pulled from smoker at it 203 at 1600 hours and wrapped and put in foil lined cooler till 1800.  Sliced across grain. The End result was good, a little dry. I need to cut back on the heat. I'm not quite sure how to do that with this rub. I may need to find another.  All and all a good smoke.  Baked beans were fantastic.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 336
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.9 KB · Views: 313
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 341
John,

Did you smoke it the foil pan?

When I have done this size brisket, I placed it in a pan and add broth to help keep it moist.

Greg

Sounds like a lot of opening and closing of the door, which releases heat, and moisture. Opening the door will definitely set you back 30 minutes to an hour on total cook time. No need to foil the brisket. It maybe was dry because all of the fiddling. Putting it in a pan, foiling, and adding liquid is going to lower the temperature of the meat, and also the internal temp of the smoker. That is going to be a fairly significant setback in cooking time. Totally understandable with the door opening/fiddling since it is probably one of your first smokes! Hard to resist. Eventually, you'll be able to just be satisfied with putting your meat in, letting it do it's thing, and enjoying lazy-Q! Pre-trimmed flats also tend not to be as moist as points, or whole packer briskets. And the pre-trimmed flats tend to be over-trimmed. (1/4 inch fat cap is most desirable.)

Costco might have trimmed it a bit to much. Sweetwater Spice makes an excellent brisket bath that would help get some moisture into the flat...........

gregbooras said:
John,

Did you smoke it the foil pan?

When I have done this size brisket, I placed it in a pan and add broth to help keep it moist.

Greg

Thanks Greg, I did put it in a pan, but I used a small bottle of Pinot Noire instead of broth. 

smokeasaurus said:
Costco might have trimmed it a bit to much. Sweetwater Spice makes an excellent brisket bath that would help get some moisture into the flat...........

Scott,

I think you may have nailed it.  Very little fat on one side and that was not much. I did not even have to trim.  I did inject with Beef broth, but I think I would have been better with a brine for this cut.

Just did same exact thing costco flat was perfect just a tad dry i think the way to go is brineing and i no ur not supposed to open door thats a rule i live by

Flats are a tough smoke, and require lots of tender loving care!  Most of us have the best success with brining and/or injecting.  I'm also a big believer in a water pan against the smoke box, and keep that door closed! ;)

Back