To separate or not

UK_CATS_FAN

Got a 15lb pork shoulder/Boston butt from Sams yesterday and need to know thoughts on keeping it whole or separating the upper Boston from the lower picnic shoulder.  I want to smoke all of this meat at once.  Keep it whole or dissect it...thoughts? 

Here are pics plus pics of the bones. They look different, one is larger and shaped different.  Did I still do two Boston butts or a butt and picnic?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 323
Your picture is ay too big to see. Try using the info intp this thread and post a smaller picture:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1272.0

They're both Boston butts - trust me! ;)  Only the upper shoulder, where the Boston butt comes from, produces the T-shaped shoulder bone like those.  Picnic bones are straight, and mostly round (like a ham bone).  Definitely Boston butts.  One was just larger than the other.

The shoulder will also usually have a ball joint in there. Very different from the Boston Butt.

Thanks folks, y'all are the masters of knowledge.  I used sugar maple this time and they both turned out yummy. So is the time formula estimate of xlbs X 1 1/2-2 hours for total meat or single pieces?  For example, do I combine weight for a total of 16 lbs of meat for 24 hours. Or 2 butts each weighing about 8lbs so that should have been approximately 12 hours smoke time.  I hope the first one because I smoked those 2 butts at 225 on the top shelf for 24 hours!  I pulled them at 194, double wrapped and cooler stored for 1 1/2 hours.  Again thanks for all the inputs and knowledge I truly appreciate it and feel it has saved me time and money.

I think it will be somewhere in between as two butts will generally take a "little" longer, but it definitely would not be double the time.

For a two-butt smoke, I usually bump the heat to 235 to account for the extra mass in the smoker. With two butts, it will take a little longer to get to temp because of the extra heat sink that is caused by two cold pieces of meat in the smoker.

UK_CATS_FAN said:
Thanks folks, y'all are the masters of knowledge.  I used sugar maple this time and they both turned out yummy. So is the time formula estimate of xlbs X 1 1/2-2 hours for total meat or single pieces?  For example, do I combine weight for a total of 16 lbs of meat for 24 hours. Or 2 butts each weighing about 8lbs so that should have been approximately 12 hours smoke time.  I hope the first one because I smoked those 2 butts at 225 on the top shelf for 24 hours!  I pulled them at 194, double wrapped and cooler stored for 1 1/2 hours.  Again thanks for all the inputs and knowledge I truly appreciate it and feel it has saved me time and money.

In my experience, the time formula is like you were doing them single, so for two 8 lb butts, I would plan 8-12 hours.  BUT, I increase temp to 235-240 to offset the cold mass, and speed the process a bit.  No ill-effects at all on the finished meat.  I keep hearing about these 24-hour smokathons, but have never experienced anything close to that!

Back