Time to reach set temps?

SuperDave

My previous smoker was a propane unit and I was used to quicker start button to cooking temp reactions.  What are you guys with model 4's experiencing for reaching your program set points? 

Dave,

How long does it take to reach temp when empty?  I am guessing it is just the meat in the smoker acting as a heat sink that is causing the delay.

Nearly 2 hours to reach temp seems like a long time.  I have a #2 and it reaches the set temp usually within 1 hour.  This weekend I was smoking in 15F weather and I reached 225F within 1 hour; all I had in the smoker was 17 meatballs.

BHamel said:
Dave,

How long does it take to reach temp when empty?  I am guessing it is just the meat in the smoker acting as a heat sink that is causing the delay.
BH,
Reason for posting the thread was to see if other model 4 owners experienced the type of temperature lags and to point out that this is very much a factor in determining ones smoke times. 

Mine gets to 225 in about an hour, last week I did 12 slabs of baby backs (3 racks 4 slabs each), 5.5 hours, start to finish.. I'll watch it closer next time I cook & will let you know exactly how long it takes... Keep in mind that mine is usually starting at 60 - 80 degrees this time of year...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (9).jpg
    FullSizeRender (9).jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 639
PhatterMike said:
Mine gets to 225 in about an hour, last week I did 12 slabs of baby backs (3 racks 4 slabs each), 5.5 hours, start to finish.. I'll watch it closer next time I cook & will let you know exactly how long it takes... Keep in mind that mine is usually starting at 60 - 80 degrees this time of year...
How did you get 12 racks of baby back ribs on 3 shelves, did you use rib racks?

Back