Time for Some Pork Shoulder

Glock_21

Prepping a batch of brine (DM's recipe) for a couple pork shoulders (~16 lbs total) for a gathering on Sunday.

Attachments

• Brine.jpeg
    Brine.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 305
Tall pot, added ice to cool it down.  I end up with right around a gallon.  I can fit two pork butts in that pot.  It's not ideal.  One of these days I will see a container that will work better.

Not a great pic, but 1 of 2 getting ready to wrap and rest.

I always find it odd that every chunk of meat is so different.  2 butts, bought together, prepped and smoked exactly the same.  One is 12 degrees behind the other.  Only difference was placement in the smoker.  Only one shelf in the #3, second slot down from the top.  The butt in the back finished first.

Attachments

• wrap and rest.jpeg
    wrap and rest.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 313
My #3 is hotter toward the back and when I smoke multiple pork shoulders the one in back is always ahead of the one in the front. The wood turns to ash in the back of the wood box while it is charred in the front. I think hot spots are fairly common.

Glock_21 said:
Tall pot, added ice to cool it down.  I end up with right around a gallon.  I can fit two pork butts in that pot.  It's not ideal.  One of these days I will see a container that will work better.

http://www.thebriner.com/

Shoulders came out almost perfect.  The second one could have cooked just a little longer.  It got to 190 and I had to wrap it up any get on the road.

I love it when the bone almost falls out and is nice and clean.

Attachments

• pulled.jpeg
    pulled.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 350
  • clean.jpeg
    clean.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 369
Back