The Search for a Great Soft Sided Cooler!

gregbooras

I travel for a living and as a foodie I am always bringing new foods, spice and items home from my trips. One of the problems when traveling on a plane is how to get cold or frozen foods home safely.

So my quest began months ago for the perfect soft sided cooler.

I know, if money is not the main concern buy a Yeti Hopper. It has a waterproof seal and is basically leak proof.  But have you looked at one of these beasts in the stores. First they cost $300.00, really for a soft side cooler.... Next if you look at the how much you can really get into a Yeti Hopper 20 or 30 it is really pretty limited. Also if you examine the top part of the cooler you will notice less insulation.

So ruling out Yeti, I researched and tried out a bunch of different brands of coolers. Finally I boiled it down to two manufacturers, AO and Norchill.

While the coolers from both companies are very similar,  the Norchill coolers insulation seems thicker and the zippers are a much higher quality. The  AO does have a lifetime warranty and the Norchill has a 2 year warranty, so that is something to consider.

I have used both to transport, frozen and refrigerated briskets from Texas with excellent results. In the end I now own a Marine 24 can Norchill cooler and a norchill 12 can cooler (used when traveling) and a 12 can AO cooler.

If you are interested Norchill is offering a tradeup program and you can get one of their coolers for 50% off plus $5.00 shipping.

http://www.norchillcoolers.com/tradeup/

Greg

I forgot to say that these coolers work both for hot and cold foods.

I my soft sided coolers to keep brisket and pork hot before serving. 

Greg

Back