Test drove my new #1 last night

CarlZ

Hi Everyone,
I got my #1 Tuesday and seasoned it. Last night made a rack of ribs and a chicken. Since I live in Memphis, had to do just a dry rub. Let them go for almost 9 hours. Gave two samples to a couple BBQ freaks in my department, one of whom currently cooks for a team here in town. Both said they were some of the best they ever had! Kudos to SI, it's only going to get better.
Carl

Hey Carl, you hit the nail on the head. There isn't anything better than easy Q that turns out great every time.  And the more you smoke, the better you get at it.

Thanks for the feedback. There was not too much smoke on either the ribs or chicken, but the chicken was a bit dry.had I not fallen asleep on the couch they would have come out about 3 hours earlier. I think the reason for not too much smoke was I only usd 1 piece of hickory that came with it, and one piece of pecan about the same size.
They cooked on 220 the entire time. last night I made 4 racks of ribs and some bacon wrapped chicken thighs marinted in apple jiuce overnight. Left ribs on 220 for 6 hours, then at 190 for 3, then put foil tent over a tray and on170 in the over for another two hours. These are as good or better than the first and second runs.
Question for you all, how frequently do you clean the smoke buildup off of the sensor that sits above the heating element? I noticed last night my Maverick sensor for the BBQ chamber was reading about 50-60 degrees HIGHER than the rheostat setting, but the first two times I used it it was within a couple degrees. I'm  a little bewildered about that.
Regards. C

Carl,
You have a lot going on.
*You can do 220 but your adding time to the smoke, a lot of time.
* My personal choice for chicken is no less than 250
*You could have gone half that much wood. Get a cheap digital scale you will use it for more than just wood.
*Don't clean the sensor, there is nothing wrong. Temp swings can be huge, let it ride.
*You did an 11 hour smoke/oven roast on the ribs. By increasing your temp to 240 and adding a small water pan  you can smoke your ribs for 4.5 to 5.5 hours to your personal texture preference. I like my ribs to pull clean when chewed but not fall apart like pulled pork so I go 4.5 to 5, other folks like them looser.
*Set a timer so you check things on schedule.
* Never open the door until the timer goes off.

Thanks for the tips. I went with 220 since that's what we used to go with on the team I was on, but that was with charcoal, so I guess I'm dealing with a new piece of equipment I've got a learning curve. I did however on all the things I've made so far have a water bath on the bottom next to the firebox.
Appreciate all the feedback, good forum here.
CZ

Hey Carl, I agree with Brian (Pork Belly) wholeheartedly.  You're right - this is a different piece of equipment, and operates very different from most "traditional" smokers.  Hang with us, and you'll learn all the tricks to Lazy Q, and give up the ways of old! 8)

Sent ribs to a buddy in NC this past weekend. His family said they were the best they had ever had. That was batch #3.
Just curious, do any of you have the cart for the #1 an #2? I just ordered one. How wide are the folding shelves on the side?

Back