Suggestions for what type of liquid to use for keeping pulled pork warm.

Big daddy smoke

Hello, first I would like to say I am soooooooo grateful for all the wonderful post's, recipes & advice that everyone has shared on the SI forums! Being a newbie, it really helped me with all the anxieties associated with never smoking meat! Which there there were more than just a few!  I have been somewhat limited to posting because of shoulder, back and knee surgeries in the past two years.  Now that I'm some what  mended again for the most part, I promise to  post more often including  pictures!  There is only one problem with the SI forum,  since i've been reading all the posts i have gotten really good at it and everyone keeps asking me when the next smoke is! Just not enough of me & time to go around! Not only has this become a passion however, i think addiction might be a better word for it!!! To prove my point, we took our summer family vacation based around smoking meats. With stops at St.Louis,  Memphis, New orleans, San antonio, the holy grail stops at Kreutz's and Blacks in Lockhardt TX and then Houston. Do you see what I mean about the addiction part?!  8) Along the way, I learned a couple things and met some really wonderful people with the same passion or addiction that I have! In Wisconsin there are very few good quality BBQ restaurants available, or at least as good as I can make it!  Hhmm....maybe that's my new calling in life? I sure wouldn't mind if it turned out that way!  Here is my question for pulled pork. What type of liquid is everyone using to keep their pulled pork  moist after you place it in a nesco for warming?  Thanks again, Big daddy smoke...aka Kevin and my SI#3

Apple Juice definitely. I have also used Coke or Dr Pepper. That combined with your rub flavor gives a little extra kick/flavor to the pulled pork.

Just pulled a 10 lb'r out of my number 2. Brined for 14 hrs, this guy took 18 hrs @ 225.  I decided to go to an IT of 196 this time and note any differences. I usually pull at 190 just because that seems to be the consensus around here.  Resting right the butt right now, but will add juice if it needs. Kind of doing this one as an experiement to freeze bags of pulled pork for a quick meal or if unexpected guests pop in.

This is my goto to keep moist.

http://www.andynelsonsbbq.com/product/guys-pig-dip-16-oz/

I prob use 1/2 bottle per 10 lb butt.  Its wet, not thick saucy.

I use the liquid in the mini loaf pans I put on each side of the firebox.  I put apple juice in at the beginning of the smoke.  Then when the smoke is done, I pour off all the juice out of the pans into a glass container and stick it in the fridge while the pork rests.  This allows the fat in the liquid to be easily removed later.  Then just before I pull the pork, I heat the juice in the microwave.  After pulling the meat, I pour a decent amount of juice over the meat.  This gives lots of moisture whether eating immediately or reheated later.  This juice has a nice smoke flavor.  If I want it a bit sweeter, I just add some more apple juice before reheating it.

Note: When putting juice in the fridge, cover that glass container.  Otherwise, it will be days before you get that strong smoke aroma out of the fridge.

Sounds like you had a great summer BBQ trek, Big Daddy! 

I now reheat my pulled pork using the Anova sous vide cooker.  I take the vac bag I originally froze with the fresh pulled pork, and give it a swim in a 165° bath for 2-3 hours.  Then, I pour the bag into a crock pot on low, to keep warm while serving.  There is enough juice from the bag to keep it moist. 

Prior to doing it this way, or if you don't have a sous vide cooker, you can put the thawed pulled pork in a crock pot, on low, with about 1/4" of apple juice in the bottom.  Let it warm for 3-4 hours, and it's great!  Personally, I won't use anything that comes from the water pan from the cook; I just can't vouch for the food-safety aspect of the raw juices that end up in there.

DivotMaker said:
Personally, I won't use anything that comes from the water pan from the cook; I just can't vouch for the food-safety aspect of the raw juices that end up in there.

DM, not sure I understand your comment on the juice captured in mini loaf pans right next to the smoke box. The juices would not be raw, having been heated at an average 225+ for many hours. I would think this is "less raw" than any juice still inside the meat that gets up to maybe 200 at most for pulling. Now, I certainly wouldn't use the juice that goes in the drip pan under the SI as it doesn't get heated by the smoke box.  But I would think the juice in the mini loaf pans is well cooked. I'd appreciate any clarification you can make as I certainly don't want to get anyone sick. Thanks.

Elliottbte said:
DivotMaker said:
Personally, I won't use anything that comes from the water pan from the cook; I just can't vouch for the food-safety aspect of the raw juices that end up in there.

DM, not sure I understand your comment on the juice captured in mini loaf pans right next to the smoke box. The juices would not be raw, having been heated at an average 225+ for many hours. I would think this is "less raw" than any juice still inside the meat that gets up to maybe 200 at most for pulling. Now, I certainly wouldn't use the juice that goes in the drip pan under the SI as it doesn't get heated by the smoke box.  But I would think the juice in the mini loaf pans is well cooked. I'd appreciate any clarification you can make as I certainly don't want to get anyone sick. Thanks.

I think that's a good question. The temperature that the juice gets is unclear as it drips onto the top of the smoke box, then into the water pans, but I imagine that's pretty hot. And and how hot it stays is also unclear. My concern has always been that the juice might be bitter, because it passes through all of the burnt gunk that collects onto the top of the wood box before it drips into the pans. I have admittedly used some of that juice, putting it through a fat strainer, and also straining though cheese cloth. Then vigorously boiling. I would not use the juice in the drip pan below the smoker as you've mentioned, because it is outside the smoker, and it not kept hot. I plan to experiment with future smokes, placing a long narrow drip pan on a rack below the meat, no wider than the smoke box, to capture juices. You do not want to use a drip pan that is so wide that it interferes with smoke and heat circulation, but a very narrow pan (like a loaf pan) might be okay.

I think that's a good question. The temperature that the juice gets is unclear as it drips onto the top of the smoke box, then into the water pans, but I imagine that's pretty hot. And and how hot it stays is also unclear. My concern has always been that the juice might be bitter, because it passes through all of the burnt gunk that collects onto the top of the wood box before it drips into the pans. I have admittedly used some of that juice, putting it through a fat strainer, and also straining though cheese cloth. Then vigorously boiling. I would not use the juice in the drip pan below the smoker as you've mentioned, because it is outside the smoker, and it not kept hot. I plan to experiment with future smokes, placing a long narrow drip pan on a rack below the meat, no wider than the smoke box, to capture juices. You do not want to use a drip pan that is so wide that it interferes with smoke and heat circulation, but a very narrow pan (like a loaf pan) might be okay.
Interesting idea on the catch pan above the box.  I'm thinking it would need some liquid in it or the captured juice will just burn in the catch pan.  I know from other threads though that putting a pan of water/apple juice above the box is frowned upon.  My family has never complained about bitter juice, but this is the only way I've done it so maybe there's a better way.  Let me know how your experiment works out.

Hey Brad, my aversion to using water pan juice certainly isn't exact science, or gospel...just my 2¢.  Personally, I think the water pan usually looks pretty nasty at the end of a long smoke, and is mostly grease on top of the evaporated water/juice....yuk.  Plus, I brine a lot, so the raw brine is leaching from the meat into the pan.

Now, I think using a small catch pan, just under the meat, is probably fine; I just don't mess with it.  Where you get into trouble is when you use a large (baking sheet, or pan larger than the meat) pan under the meat; it will wreak havoc with your box temps (we figured that out years ago).  I'm all for collecting drippings for gravy, but I'm not going to sacrifice a perfectly smoked piece of (expensive) meat to make gravy, or have a questionable health decision.  Again, just my opinion, not anything to argue about.  Do what you are comfortable with!

Yes, you'll want to start out with a little water (or apple juice, wine, beer) in the bottom of your narrow "catch pan". I would just make sure it is no wider than the wood box, so a loaf pan would probably be okay if you want to try that. Boil the drippings before you use them. Tony, I agree, the juice in the water pans in the bottom does look really gross. I used a little of it once in pulled pork after defatting, straining through cheese cloth, and boiling, and was surprised that it actually tasted kinda good. I think I'm going to try the other method though. And as far as safety goes, I have no idea. At your own risk I guess.

Back