Starting some Baby Back and Spares--need encouragement

TexasSMK

First Ribs coming up.  Here is my plan--correct and or encourage as needed.  About 10 pound--3 full racks--two Spare, one Baby Back.  I rubbed last night in Chupacabra Rub http://www.2gringossalsa.com From what I read:  1.  It is best to put them in the smoker (SI#2) bones down.  2. Place on top two racks at 225F for 5 to 6 hours--no peak. 3. Plan to use a couple chunks of cherry and a chunk of Hickory.  Smoke begins at 1100 hours today--give me rudder guidance or a thumbs up--cooking for friends--don't want to blow it. 

TexasSMK said:
First Ribs coming up.  Here is my plan--correct and or encourage as needed.  About 10 pound--3 full racks--two Spare, one Baby Back.  I rubbed last night in Chupacabra Rub http://www.2gringossalsa.com From what I read:  1.  It is best to put them in the smoker (SI#2) bones down.  2. Place on top two racks at 225F for 5 to 6 hours--no peak. 3. Plan to use a couple chunks of cherry and a chunk of Hickory.  Smoke begins at 1100 hours today--give me rudder guidance or a thumbs up--cooking for friends--don't want to blow it.

Dale do you know the weight of the wood?

I usually use about 3.5 oz. total.

Greg

Greg, no--don't know the weight--scales are a future plan.  For reference the wood I am currently using is from Smokin-it --not sure if that helps.  Does the time in smoker sound good--worried about drying them out. 

TexasSMK said:
Greg, no--don't know the weight--scales are a future plan.  For reference the wood I am currently using is from Smokin-it --not sure if that helps.  Does the time in smoker sound good--worried about drying them out.

I think you will find that the spareribs will take longer than the baby backs maybe 30-45. I would put the baby backs on the top rack and check at 5 hours.

On the wood without a scale you can not be sure....
But if you have a 6 oz. can of tomato paste it weights around 7 oz. to compare with.

I sure others will jump in also.

Greg

Been on three hours and they smell great, can't wait to crack open the door.

Attachments

• First Ribs.jpg
    First Ribs.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 335
Sounds like the only thing you really need, Dale, is a scale!  "A couple of chunks of cherry and one hickory" could be as much as 6-7 oz of wood.  The other thing I take into consideration is the thickness of the ribs.  As you know, one end of the rack is thicker than the other.  I put the thickest halves on the lower shelf, and the thinner ones up top.  That way, they cook more evenly.

Back