St Louis Ribs

jcboxlot

Disclosure, smoker was cold when my son was helping.

Two slabs of wally world smithfield st louis cut. 

I've been a butcher shop "snob", maybe spoiled by non injected meat.  And a hunch, these were imported.  "Inspected to USDA Standards" was on the tag.

5 1/2 hours no peek, they were meaty and smelled/taste great.  A tad dry ?? and a touch hard to pull apart from the bone. 

Apple juice kicker was near gone on the bottom. 

Will sauce up leftovers on the Weber for a second round. 

Overall good, but I've yet to have a peel off the bone result (like wet pulled pork).  If that makes any sense.

Attachments

• stlouis2.jpg
    stlouis2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 291
  • stlouis1.jpg
    stlouis1.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 258
  • stlouis3.jpg
    stlouis3.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 300
They look great, John!  Do you have a Sam's Club near you?  Mine carries the IBP 3-rack packs (spares and baby backs), and the quality is outstanding.  Very meaty, and I've never failed to get the "fall-off-the-bone" tender result.  I used Smithfield ribs once...the results were "less than optimal," to put it nicely. ???

Looking good John. Smithfield is now owned by a chinese company. I'm not sure if they are actually exporting meat to the U.S., but it is something to look for next time especially since it did not say product of U.S.

I do but not a member.  Are those just Tyson brand?  Only sold at Sams? 

Just trying to share my exp between butcher shop and kryo vac packaging at a store.    Quite the difference.

Good and bad on both. 

Smithfield, larger bone, more meat, less fat

Butcher, smaller bone, less meat, more fat/taste.

When I can find them I use Berkshire pork, the taste is amazing and it is very tender.

I can be a bit hard to find and it cost more, but it is worth it.

Greg

OFFSHORE GINGER said:
Tony , personally I find Sam's Club ( ribs ) not that good .

That may be due to the supplier in your area.  I know they use different ones around the country.  In my area, they are IBP (not Tyson), and are excellent; best ribs I can buy in NW Arkansas.  A lot of places sell Tyson here (go figure - headquartered here), but they are not that good.

http://www.tysonfreshmeats.com/ibp-Trusted-Excellence.asp

Not the same as you mentioned?  I guess every region has what they supply and/or maker.

jcboxlot said:
http://www.tysonfreshmeats.com/ibp-Trusted-Excellence.asp

Not the same as you mentioned?  I guess every region has what they supply and/or maker.

I stand corrected on the reference to Tyson, but not the product.  Tyson bought IBP (Iowa Beef Producers, that has been around a long time) in 2001, but the IBP ribs, pork and beef are not the same as under the actual Tyson label.  If you find Tyson-branded pork, you'll find that most of it (butts especially) are solution injected, where as the IBP products are not.

Tyson owns IBP, the same way they own Hillshire Farms now, but that doesn't mean that is what they use under their own label.

Back