St. Louis Ribs on the #2

BedouinBob

Cut some spare ribs into St. Louis ribs and rib tips. Rubbed with mustard on both and Famous Daves on one and John Henry's Pecan Rub on the other. In the frig overnight and then into the smoker at 230 with 6 oz Apple chunks and water for moisture. Smoked for 5 hours with added BBQ sauce at 4 hours. Turned out really juicy and tender. Neither my wife or I could tell the difference in the rubs. I think I am going to make my own rub. I'm just not that jazzed with what I am finding commercially. I think I can do better plus know exactly what's in my rub. Let the science begin....  :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 343
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 352
I've always made my own rubs - admittedly, when I started, they were from recipes (Smoke and Spice, notably), but I've made tweaks according to our tastes, and what meat we're working with.

And the biggest reason is as Greg mentioned: You always know what you're putting into your rub.

Also a fan of making my own rubs.  I have a base that goes on pork butts and is part of every other rub I do.  I sweeten it some with powdered honey and/or maple for ribs, add some rosemary, thyme and citrus for poultry and add salt and pepper for brisket

6 ounces of wood is quite a bit for ribs. My guess is that the smoke is what overpowered your rub.

I typically use 2.5-3.0 ounces of wood for ribs.

Gregg, maybe. I didn't think the smoke was overpowering though. I guess I need to back off the wood and see what I think.  :P

I agree with the guys, Bob; 6 oz is a lot of wood for ribs.  I, too, but that kind of "washed out" the rub flavor.  Run another batch with about 3 oz and see if you can tell a difference (I know you already said that - just affirming my 2¢).

I've found a few different commercial rubs that I've enjoyed but definitely more "job satisfaction" when I make my own. I just do the Memphis bbq company rub ands it's awesome.  Haven't really tried tweaking it because it doesn't need it.

Back