smokin some ribs tomorrow

thenewguy

Gonna try some ribs tomorrow. A couple weeks ago I smoked a rack and was not really pleased how they turned out. Very moist, no bark, no smoke taste, very tender. Smoked for 5 hours no peek. Used a rub I found online that I won't use again, called kansas city rub. Put the rub on night before with mustard, used too much mustard and too much rub probably. These ribs are hormel and have been injected apparently with 12% of somthing. Used mini loaf pan with apple juice and used 2.7 oz apple wood.

This time I am thinking the injected ribs have plenty of moisture and do not need any juice in a pan. Going to put famousdaves rib rub only on half the rack and put some salt, pepper, and garlic powder on the other half tonight. 5 hours no peek with 2.5 oz hickory and throw two or three decent sized potatoes underneath to fry up the next day for breakfast. Oh and I was going to use 225 degrees. So what do you think. Thank, thenewguy

Go up 5 - 10 degrees and you will have even a better bark.  I agree with the no need for the water pan also. 

I'm not a fan of Hormel ribs and will not use them. Being pre-injected is also something I try to avoid. Try 235 like Dave suggested. I cook almost everything at that temp. I use about 3 oz. of wood for ribs. What flavor of wood are you using? Hickory is a more smoky flavor.

2.5 or 3 is fine. Not a good idea to use any more than that or it might get over smoked...yuk. No water pan is ok. Personally I always use one. Wood chunk placement might help also. If to close to the back it will burn quickly and may even "belch" (possibly a loud noise and puffs of white smoke). Try putting the wood a bit closer to the middle.

It will start smoking later but will last longer.

New Guy - where you buy your meat for smoking, and what brand it is, is important.  Beginning smoking, many people think pork ribs are pork ribs, or brisket is brisket.  Much of your success will depend on the quality of meat you prepare and put in the smoker.

Personally, I totally avoid anything pre-injected.  Not that it's necessarily bad, it's just that I want to be in control of what goes into the meat, so I know what's in it!  Also, there's a big difference in ribs, between suppliers.  The best I've ever found are IBP ribs from Sam's Club.  Absolutely great; Meaty, tender, no additives. 

As for the water pan - I recommend leaving it in, even for pre-injected ribs.  The moisture won't hurt, and one of the main benefits of the water pan is to act as a heat sink, which stabilizes temperatures.

:)the results are in: in our stomachs that is. Totally the  best ribs yet, the salt, pepper, and garlic ones were pretty good, but the famousdaves rib rub ones were even better. I gotta say famousdaves rib rub helped make famousdougs ribs. Now I gotta get some of those sams club ribs to try. Thanks for the help guys.

If available try getting ribs at a butcher shop, fresh, not frozen or injected.  Personally I think it makes a difference. 

I've had good luck with the Sam's club meats. Ribs multiple times, Pork Butts, Packer Briskets.... It was all excellent! Only thing I would buy pre-injected would be a turkey (because it's hard to find them not already this way).

Sam's Club is as good if not better than any meat market ribs/butts that I have purchased. It is pretty much my go to place for smoking meat. Costco is a close second.

Personally, I don't see any benefit of purchasing at a meat market verses Sam's/Costco other than the relationship that many of us have with our butchers.

NDKoze said:
Sam's Club is as good if not better than any meat market ribs/butts that I have purchased. It is pretty much my go to place for smoking meat. Costco is a close second.

Personally, I don't see any benefit of purchasing at a meat market verses Sam's/Costco other than the relationship that many of us have with our butchers.

+1!  Before I got turned-onto Sam's meat, I bought a lot from local butcher shops.  While it was good quality, it was not good enough to warrant the 30-50% higher price.  Sucks for the small business owner, but I'm going where I can get the best quality for the best price.

Hard to beat Famous Dave's rib rub, I also really like the Memphis Dust rub that I found on here. Put some apple cider in a foil pan for that hint of sweetness and 2.5 ounces of cherry wood, smoke at 235 and you will have some mighty good ribs.

TmanEater said:
Only thing I would buy pre-injected would be a turkey (because it's hard to find them not already this way).
Hey TmanEater, I have found that if you buy the fresh turkeys from the store they are not injected. 

Killjoy said:
TmanEater said:
Only thing I would buy pre-injected would be a turkey (because it's hard to find them not already this way).
Hey TmanEater, I have found that if you buy the fresh turkeys from the store they are not injected.

Not in my area.  I always look for them, but they all (even the fresh) have some percentage of solution added.  Sucks.  Just sell me a turkey that's just a dead turkey!! >:(

niceguy0427 said:
Raise your own turkey - the meat will never get better then that!!  ;)

Ha!  I absolutely agree, Don!  Fresh turkey is a marvel.  BUT...a 70-hour work week, plus a 200 lb English Mastiff that loves birds, kind of puts a damper on raising turkeys. ;) :(

Back