Smokin-It #2 in the Queen City!!

Kiddab

Hello All,

I have been looking to purchase a Smokin-It for over a year.  I finally decided on the #2 felt like it was a good fit.  So for my first smoke, I decided to take on a 9.5lb Boston Butt.  I first rubbed it down with mustard and used a homemade bbq rub. I decided to smoke it with the Fat Cap down (Does it matter?).  Started the smoke at 2:00 a.m. and it finished at 4:00 p.m. (I added chicken wings in at 1:00pm). 14 hours later my temp hit 195 degrees and the fun began.  Pulled pork was amazing and so was the chicken wings.  Family tasted my first smoke and was pleasantly surprised.  Glad I finally pulled the trigger.  Next up is a Bacon Explosion going in tommorow morning. 

Kiddab

Good for you Kiddab. Sounds like a successful smoke and you are off to a very positive start. Enjoy it and have fun.

Congrats on your new smoker and welcome from ND!

I always smoke fat-cap up so that the rendering fat can self-baste rather than head to the drip pan.

It sounds like you had a successful smoke, which is awesome! I always recommend a Boston Butt for the first smoke because they are hard to mess up and ensures a successful smoke with your new smoker.

Next time try brining your butt to kick it up a notch. I brine 100% of my butts now. Check out Tony (AKA Divotmaker's) thread on this:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0

The Bacon Explosion is definitely on my must try list. I will be looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

Hey Kiddab,

Welcome from Florida, I also bought a #2 smoker a few weeks ago and I am really happy with my purchase. Looks like your first smoke was a huge hit.

This afternoon I am smoking some buffalo sausage for our pizza tonight. Then next week, buffalo burgers!

Enjoy Greg

Back