Smoker newbies in Texas

Welcome from East Texas. What part of Texas are you from? You'll use your smoker more you might think because it's just too easy not to. Be sure to season it per the instructions. What will be your first smoke? If you have any questions just ask and someone will reply, usually pretty quickly. Enjoy!

Hey Larry & Laura, welcome from Kansas City, I too have a #1. +1 on Dales post. Recently I have been doing hamburgers in mine never would have believed could beat a burger coming off of the Weber. But, it tastes out of this world just a couple oz of wood so far have used both hickory and also maple with a charcoal briquettes. I just add to the hamburger some rub and your favorite bbq sauce. Mix it up, make the patties and smoke at 235 until internal temp. of 165.

Welcome aboard from Eastern MA....I too have the "Little Guy" it's a great smoker! Let us know how your first smoke goes.

Welcome from California.........also have SI#1 yesterday I did another brisket..............melted the hearts and taste buds of my company.............enjoy

Welcome from the Keys. Might I suggest a Boston Butt as your first smoke. It is a fairly large (and therefore scary) piece of meat but is very forgiving and makes a great confidence building first smoke. Don't buy a little one and don't forget to brine! Happy Smoking.

Thanks to you all! Really love the burger idea- may do that soon.  First smoke didn't happen- boating interfered.  We both love smoked turkey Breast- would that be a good first smoke?  I have to avoid high fat foods- so some of the obvious and more popular foods won't work.

Hey L&L, I have seen some great recipes for turkey breasts. And I believe that is a quick smoke/cook as well. You also might try ribs if that is on your diet. I hope you can have brisket as one you have one you smoke you won't buy any from the BBQ joints. And good luck with your smokes. As for the burger use turkey burger as less fat or maybe ground sirloin.

Larry and Laura, Welcome from Central Texas yourself!  If you like BBQ, you're going to LOVE your new smoker. I've had nothing but very good to excellent results with mine.

Hey L&L,

Poultry is always good in an SI!  I like to do whole birds, whether turkey or plain ol' yard birds (chicken).  Here's a couple of ideas for you:

Smoked Whole Turkey

Brined Whole Chicken

As far as the "high fat" foods go, pork butts only have good pork fat!  It is "the other white meat!"  I mean, what good is having a smoker if you can't enjoy some good pulled pork or ribs??  All things in moderation, my friends! ;)  Man (and Woman) cannot live on poultry alone! ;D

In bone breast turkey will be great on this machine. 

Try this for a recipe template

http://www.smoking-meat.com/november-14-2013-smoked-turkey-breast-for-thanksgiving

Lots of options.

If you have to for health reasons avoid the obvious fat, try some seafood, smoke veggies in a pan in the SI, turkey sausage smoked skillet like below recipe.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/march-19-2015-smoked-sausage-and-peppers-with-bologna

Obvious most here love the pork/bacon, but you can make it work.  I think there are a lot of turkey options if you find the right store or butcher shop.

Welcome Larry and Laura! Never too many Texans in a Smoking Forum...I just got started a several months ago.  I can't believe how much I have learned on here.  Tons of stuff to smoke if you are avoiding the heavy fats.  I have smoked Salmon, Shrimp, Turkey and Chicken.  Here is a chicken I did today http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4122.0;topicseen Hope the link works.  Enjoy, and welcome.

Hey L&L, I did a little search on Turkey bacon and did not find anything. But, did get an idea since you have to be on a low fat diet. I might suggest you try making the buckboard bacon. It is made from either a picnic pork roast or a Boston Butt. But, is far leaner than regular pork belly bacon. And from some of the post I have read it has a really good flavor between ham and bacon. Also said you could cure a turkey breast and slice it then cook in the oven. Not sure of the taste but I know in my stays in the VA hospital that is what they serve and has a pretty good flavor. But, is a bit salty for me.

I did an experiment with turkey breast chunks and made Canadian Turkey Bacon.

It turned out awesome!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2461.0

Attachments

• WP_20141212_001.jpg
    WP_20141212_001.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 256
Back