Smoked Scotch Eggs - Deviled Scotch Eggs

gregbooras

This is my first attempt at this, so tonight's dinner will be another experiment!

Smoked Scotch Eggs – Deviled Scotch Eggs
Ingredients
1 lb. Italian Sausage
6 hardboiled eggs
6 slices bacon
6 slices thin Ham
6 slices cheddar cheese (you can use whatever you like here)
BBQ spice (or your favorite BBQ seasoning)
BBQ sauce or your favorite dipping sauce
Wood
2 oz. cherry
Directions
Place eggs in a pan cold water, bring to a boil, cover and then turn off heat. Leave on burner for 20 minutes and then place the eggs in a bowl of ice water. Allow the eggs to cool, then crack and peel. Place eggs in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

Next divide sausage into six equal portions and form into balls, using wax paper flatten out each ball into a 4” circle.
You can make any combination of eggs you like, for this recipe we are going to make three different kinds of scotch eggs.
1. Take three of the eggs and wrap them with sliced cheese, thin sliced ham. Wrap with each with a sausage patty and then with two slices of bacon.
2. Take the remaining three eggs and wrap with just the sausage patty.
3. Final step roll each egg in the BBQ seasoning.

Place eggs in smoker and smoke at 225 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until golden brown. If the bacon is not brown enough you can finish on the grill or under the broiler. Remove from smoker, cut in half and eat with some BBQ sauce.

*These also make great deviled eggs, just cut in half and scoop out the yoke. Mix the yolk with mayo, sweet relish, yellow mustard, salt and pepper.  Return mixture to egg white, top with a sprinkle of Smoked Spanish paprika.

I will post final photos after dinner tonight and let you know how it turned out!

Greg

Durangosmoker said:
What a great idea!  I love Scotch eggs, but haven't had one in years.  Let us know how they turn out, please.

Hey Eric,

I have not had these in many moons and the smoking sounded like it almost made them healthy :)

One thing to note is that I don't like runny eggs, so I made the eggs well done. I will let everyone know how they turn out.

Greg

I used to eat these in England all the time, although they were fried I believe. They go great with baked beans and fries!

This was my first try at this and overall a success. The smoke level was just right and the total smoke time ended up being 90 minutes. If you like crispy bacon (I do) I would put on the grill or under the broiler for a few minutes.

Greg

I've seen plenty of A+ fine looking food pictures on this site.  This one might be the tops for me.  Not sure if I'll ever have the gumption to try it, but looks mighty fine!

Back