Smoked Pork (10 lb. Pork Butt from RD)

gregbooras

I have not had the chance to make pulled pork in awhile, so I have a 10 lb. butt in the refrigerator prepped and ready to go into the smoker later tonight.
For this smoke I have changed a few things in my recipe and I decided not to brine, so it should be interesting to see and taste the results.

Smoked Pork

Meat:
Whole Boston butt, bone in 10 lbs. RD

Wood:
3.2 oz. Cherry/1.2 Hickory/.9 oz. Oak

Injection:
1 ½ cup apple juice
1 cup water
3 T Moore’s sauce.

Wet Rub:
3 T Yellow Mustard/3 T Pickle Juice/1 t. Ground Celery Seed

Rub:
Kosmos Killer Bee (Chipotle)

Directions:
Remove Boston Butt from the refrigerator, and pat dry with paper towels. Inject the Pork Butt (do not inject on the bottom fat cap) apply yellow mustard mixture and then the rub. Place pork butt back in the refrigerator for 12 hours, or until its time to smoke.

Place on the second shelf of the smoker (fat side down) and set smoker to 235 degrees. Remove from smoker when butt hits 190 degrees. Double cover butt in foil and place in a cooler covered with towels for 2 hours.

Greg

I bet you get a faux smoke ring, after letting the celery seed rest on the surface for awhile.  Lots of nitrates there. 

DivotMaker said:
I bet you get a faux smoke ring, after letting the celery seed rest on the surface for awhile.  Lots of nitrates there.

Tony,

It should be interesting to see the results, I may have needed to add more celery, but I will know tomorrow :)

Greg

Pickle juice nad ground celery seeds, sounds interesting.. yes, post the results please

I must be getting old, i went to RD to buy some butts for ham but instead i came home with chicken tights.. too lazy to go back, maybe tomorrow.
I did not find those yellow potatoes, VERY disappointed... i love those potatoes but if i don't get to RD early in the morning, they're gone!

The pork butt finished in about 15 hours, added some apple juice/water and then doubled wrapped in foil.

Placed the butt back in the smoker set to 140 degrees and will pull about 30 minutes before it is time for dinner.

Greg

elkins20 said:
Hey Greg very nice looking butt, love the bark. Would have loved to see if you had a smoke ring.

Well it's in the smoker holding for dinner, I will cut/pull it in about 3 hours and will share pictures!

Greg

DivotMaker said:
Nice butt, Greg. ;)  I just love saying that! ;D ;D  Only in BBQ can we have this much fun!
It is about the only time that a good crusty bark on your butt is admired. 

Total smoke time was 14.5 hours, held in the smoker for 5 hours (smoker set to 140 degrees).

The Butt had an amazing bark on it and it was very juicy and tender. Not really any sign of a smoke ring (only used 1 t. celery seed) may try more next time.

Since I made a few changes in my normal recipe, the really excellent bark could be the results of one the pickle juice and or that I placed the butt in a roaster pan and covered while allowing the rub to sit for 12 hours. Normally I would inject, apply mustard and then apply the rub. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 12 hours.

Anyways, dinner turned out great.

Greg

BedouinBob said:
Still looks good GREG....  :o I must bet getting old...  ;D

As Comedian Bill Saluga said:

You can call me Ray, you can call me Jay, but you don't have to call me Ray Jay... :)

Greg

Back