Smoked Garlic

Ken

I found this recipe online and it looked interesting.  I haven’t tasted it yet but it smells great.  Gave away three and kept one for myself.  I smoked with naturally dried cherry.  150 degrees for 2.5 hours.  Don’t use green garlic.  Store cooled garlic in a covered jar in the fridge.  Good for 6 weeks.

Attachments

• 488F7066-FA2C-41FD-9A9C-04FD010C0E6A.jpeg
    488F7066-FA2C-41FD-9A9C-04FD010C0E6A.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 334
I like to cut the top off of them, drizzle them with olive oil, and then smoke...  you can find a couple old posts of mine where I share process and photos.  I then chop it up with a processor and store it for use in any and all recipes that call for garlic.

That sounds great especially if you wanted to squeeze out the good stuff and eat it right away.  The person that wrote the recipe used a low cooking temp of 150 so she could keep them whole in the fridge for 6 weeks and then use them like typical garlic.  I'll try them your way next time.

Ken said:
That sounds great especially if you wanted to squeeze out the good stuff and eat it right away. 

Yeah, it just squeezes right out pretty much effortlessly after smoking.  I keep some in a small mason jar and the rest I vacuum seal and freeze.  When my jar is going to run out I just let one of my frozen packs thaw in the fridge in advance.  It'll stay good for a very long time. 

It's fine to put the olive oil on it before smoking, but don't ever actually store the garlic in olive oil... that's the prefect recipe for botulism.

Back