Smoked Carnitas

Kal

Hey Everybody,

This past weekend I attempted to make my version of Carnitas using my SI #2. I searched the internet for recipes and found one that tried to duplicate Carnitas on a BBQ with smoke so I followed most of his recipe but in my #2.

Carnitas is Mexican pulled pork traditionally cooked in lard and fried. I wanted to see if I could duplicate those flavors using the smoker and obviously without all the grease.

I marinated a 6.5 lb bone in pork shoulder in orange juice with about 10 garlic cloves in the fridge overnight. I injected the orange juice and made slits in the meat.

I was concerned about the citrus marinade having to much acidity and turning the pork into mush but it held up fine. I removed the pork from the marinade, rinsed it with cold water, patted it dry and then applied a generous rub.

I smoked the pork with about 2 ounces of Pecan wood. The (no look) smoke took 11 hours, I removed it at 195 degrees, covered it for 45 minutes, removed the bone and then shredded the meat, it came apart perfect.

This pulled pork was fantastic! The meat was juicy and had delicious flavors, I'm not sure if it was the marinade , the rub, a combination of the two or maybe I am finally starting to use my #2 smoker properly (newbie). This was the best smoke since getting my #2.

The online recipe included a mop with Modelo beer that I am going to try next time.

My wife made homemade salsa, we added crispy cabbage and Cotija cheese (stinky, salty, delicious Mexican cheese, if you've never had any you have to try it) and crisped corn tortillas.

It was great! See pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_1441.JPG
    IMG_1441.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1443.JPG