Smithfield

jcboxlot

Has anyone seen this "prime" offered anywhere?

http://www.smithfield.com/products/prime-fresh-pork/

Store I attend has Smithfield, but I have yet to see this anywhere.

I'm on the East (right) coast, Pennsylvania.

I think Smithfield is now owned via China, but hard to tell where products are coming from?  Thoughts?

I just bought these at Costco, says "Product of USA" but not listed as Prime as in your ad..

Attachments

• 2015-04-25 19.56.39_resized.jpg
    2015-04-25 19.56.39_resized.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 346
Interesting, I have two in the freezer, pre seasoned loins and they don;t say either way where made.

Also just trying to figure where and what the "prime" is/sold.

John

John I am thinking that the prime label may be just a marketing ploy.  Perhaps the same meat and a new package but I will keep an eye out for them.

John, I'm surprised it doesn't give the country of origin on your packages - I think that's required by the USDA now.  I notice Sam's is carrying more Smithfield than they used to.  The baby backs are still IBC (which is good - they're better than Smithfield ribs, imo), but the pork tenderloins I recently smoked were Smithfield.  I didn't notice the source, but will definitely check in the future! 

I also think the "Prime" label is a marketing ploy; pork is not graded Prime, Choice, Select, like beef, so I think it's meant to give the impression that it's the highest grade.

I think prime is some new labeling. Probably since the Chinese bought the company. Make sure you check country of origin now.

Interesting, I check some packages yesterday, Hormel and Smithfield tenderloins.

"USA Inspected"  to USDA standards.

On their web site, they offer the "prime" which I have never seen before and the packaging "regular" which most of us are used to seeing.

This is the answer on pork grading, from the USDA website:

Pork
Pork is not graded with USDA quality grades as it is generally produced from young animals that have been bred and fed to produce more uniformly tender meat. Appearance is an important guide in buying fresh pork. Look for cuts with a relatively small amount of fat over the outside and with meat that is firm and grayish pink in color. For best flavor and tenderness, meat should have a small amount of marbling. Pork's consistency makes it suitable for a variety of cooking styles. Chops can be prepared by pan broiling, grilling, baking, braising, or sautéing. Ribs can be braised, roasted, or grilled. Slow cooking yields the most tender and flavorful results. Tenderloins are considered to be the most tender and tasty cut of pork.

There you have it, folks.  Calling pork "Prime," or anything else but "pork" is a bunch of hooey.

Back