Silver skin Removal

bogeyjim

First attempt at St. Louis ribs tomorrow.  Hence first attempt at removing the silverskin.  My question is, how thick is that membrane?  Do you need to remove right down to exposing the bone?

I should have asked earlier, as they are currently mustardized, rubbed, and in the frig getting happy.....live and learn!

Membrane is very thin. Should you buy Costco’s baby backs, the membrane is  removed for you.

Great, so I likely got it off.  Did get these at Costco, but they are St. Louis.  Baby backs next time.  Thanks for the input Doug.

bogeyjim said:
First attempt at St. Louis ribs tomorrow.  Hence first attempt at removing the silverskin.  My question is, how thick is that membrane?  Do you need to remove right down to exposing the bone?

It's very thin...  it's translucent to transparent it's so thin.  It's probably not any thicker than heavy plastic wrap.  It's surprisingly strong, though.  I pick at it on either end until I can grab it with my thumb and forefinger (I have a strong pinch) and then just pinch it and pull it off.  It comes off as one long strip.

I use a butter knife or spoon to get under one side halfway down the middle. Once started, I poke my finger in and lift to pull. Much easier than trying to grab it from one end.

I used the midway approach with a paring knife to get started, then worked my forefinger in (arthritis makes my thumbs useless) and grabbed with paper towel to pull.  Starting them in a couple of hours and throwing in a couple of baking potatoes.

I have quickly gotten hooked on this hobby, but with just the wife and myself (and being on WW) we have become "leftover distributors" 😎.

Thanks for your input, this forum is invaluable.

This is not a critical step. I doubt many did it before food network. Ribs are actually far more moist with it on.

Try leaving it in half the rack and check the result.

Pork Belly said:
This is not a critical step. I doubt many did it before food network. Ribs are actually far more moist with it on.

Try leaving it in half the rack and check the result.

I wondered if it was necessary and saw someone I trusted post that it was so I just did it.  I will probably skip it next time to see how that works out for me.  I think their contention was that you won't get the same smoke flavor because the smoke can't penetrate the membrane.  However, it's not like there is a ton of meat on the bottom side anyway so I'm not sure how much it matters even if true.

Happy with the results.  Coated ribs with mustard and Famous Dave's.  Applied some olive oil to some russets and added a rub of kosher salt/fresh cracked pepper/maple sugar.  Set the #2 at 235, pulled the potatoes at 5 hours 45 minutes, left the ribs in for another 30 minutes.  Lest I forget, Tony's BBQ sauce!

Attachments

Back