Saint Louis Cut Sucess

Ken

I finally followed the directions for the 3-2-1 recipe. They were super tender and no burnt wood flavor.  I smoked at 235 but next time I'm going to try 225 as I was concerned about being done enough.  Next time I'll try the no peek version for a comparison.  This time I used Applewood for the mild flavor and a good base to work from.  I just bought some good quality Hickory for another version.  Now that I know how to make them tender I'll be able to play around with the flavors.

Attachments

• Saint Louis Cut.jpg
    Saint Louis Cut.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 248
Hi Ken - The ribs look good.  I did the same tests as you and settled on the "no peak" and a mix of apple, cherry and hickory.  I leave the skin on the back and add a water pan next to the wood box on the bottom (prob not needed). I find it to be an easier method and the results taste great.  I've been smoking at 235 as well but I'm curious what affect the lower temp will have on time and rib color.  Tom

I tried the No Peek method this time at 225 for 6 hours.  The smoke was hickory this time.  I used the same low salt rub plus black pepper but no sugar anywhere.  The skin was left on but I made a horizontal cut across the middle of the ribs.  I saw this on an Aaron Franklin video.  I opened the door. turned off the heat and brushed them with a bit of sauce.  The door was left cracked open to rest the meat.  The results were much different.  I'd say the meat was well cooked if not a bit overcooked but only slightly. The skin fell off with ease.  The bark was much better too.  I'll play around with it a bit more but for now I'm sticking with No Peek.

Attachments

Back