Ribs

Snoopy

Hey all,

Was reading on here about smoking smaller amounts of meat since i'm only cooking for me most of the time. Girlfriend is a nurse and on duty this wkend so its just me. If I do 1 rack of ribs, keep them close to the top at 225-230 for 4.5- 5hrs with potatoes on second rack right? Plan on doing 1 rack of ribs this weekend and maybe 2 potatoes unless I find a deal on ribs. I'm gonna use about 2oz of hickory with little bit of apple juice in the pan like I did with my first smoke. Sound ok?  I'm starting to drool...  :D

sounds like a great plan.  I would recommend weighing the wood.  I use 3oz for 2 racks, you may want to consider an 1.5oz cut in two pieces. 

Perfect, snoop!    I usually put the potatoes on the top rack, but I don't think it will matter if they are lower in the box.  I would also use a bit more wood, perhaps 3-4oz, but you will develop your own preference for the desired smokiness as you smoke more meat.  Enjoy!

Don't be afraid to make a couple of racks I do this weekly it's just the two of as well and the left over ribs are great for snacking on, 1 minute in the microwave and you've got the best snack ever, they even seem to get better after a couple of days!!

Not trying to insult anyone but.....
The weight difference between 1.5 and 2 oz is not hardly worth bothering. If that makes you happy and confident fine but lets not frustrate new people. The would be better off if they focus on whole numbers 2,4,6  or small, medium and large.

Agreed, Brian!  2-3 oz for 1, 2 or 3 racks of ribs.  You're going to cook about the same length of time, so keep the smoke rolling the same amount as usual!

Ok ribs went in with 2 potatoes. Did same as first smoke, rubbed with mustard and famous Daves rub and olive oil on taters and garlic salt and some kind of Cajun seasoning girlfriend bought. Ribs on top rack taters on second. Split a small chunk of hickory, came out to 1.9oz on the scale. Close enough for me. 5hrs later no peek, smoky deliciousness once again  :) I think the drippings on the potatoes from the ribs help flavor them imho. Still cant believe how easy and good this is! Oh forgot, I also had mini pan 1/4 full of apple juice next to smoke box.

Lance, congrats on another successful smoke. These smokers are great, really easy once you get the hang of it and a few smokes under your belt.

After a few ribs, you can move on to bigger and better things, like pork butt, brisket, etc.

Back