Ribs, stand them, or lay them?

jdiver

Any Pros or Cons to either using a rib rack to stand them on edge and fitting more in? Or laying flat on the rack?

Any opinions? Anyone ever try both ways to compare???

Unless you are smoking enough ribs that you are going to run out of room, I would definitely skip the rib racks and go bone side down.

I think you will have more even heat distribution without the racks.

:) :) You don't want to pause and think about it??? LOL

Thanks. Well I'm going to do two racks of ribs. If I lay them flat across corner to corner they fit uncut. So I'll do that. And I'll cross them so one isn't right under the other.

I'm using pecan wood, I think:) Got the box of wood with both peach and pecan in the same devided  box, but they ain't marked:) I think the one with bark is Pecan.

My kids got me a rib rack for father's day and I love it.  The ribs go in the rack sideways; it holds 2.5 racks.  To do more, I could lay another rack above the rib rack on a separate grate.    I think the heat disperses well around the ribs and I get even bark on both sides of the ribs.

Do you notice better bark using the rack? I have been pretty happy with my ribs but the meat side can be pretty wet with pooled juice and condensation. I would think having them upright would improve bark.

I can't say that the bark is better, but what I do notice is less black char on the bone side.    I have two racks in the smoker now, so I'll check again later today.

I'd guess that any kind of Char is more a factor of Rub or Binder. Too much sugar, or at least enough sugar that it burns easily. I've had the dark bits, but I want that. Nothing I'd call burnt. And the ribs I just did with a very light rub, very little of what can be called Char.

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpg
    IMG_1501.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 316
Back