Ribs and butt this weekend

Kutch98

Bought a small 9lb rack of baby backs from Walmart for Friday.  Redbull Rampage Downhill Mountain Bike is on so Ill be watching that all day and enjoying ribs.  Used honey and JH Apple rub on them, prob mesquite wood for the smoke.

Also bought a 7lb pork butt thats in brine now.  Still trying to decide if I want to go mustard/bbq rub or something else.  But It will go in the smoker tomorrow night around 8pm and be done Saturday around 10am and ready for lunch! Might go with Hickory for the wood. finished pics to come!

Kutch98 said:
Still trying to decide if I want to go mustard/bbq rub or something else. 

Sounds like a great weekend of food, Jake!  Just a suggestion... Go with yellow mustard and Famous Dave's Rib Rub on the butt.  It's a great "off the shelf" butt rub.  If you can't find it, Bad Byron's Butt Rub is also good.

I definitely like a mustard binder for butts. I think it really helps make a nice thick chewy bark.

And Tony is right about the Famous Dave's Rib Rub. It is by far my favorite off the shelf rub and works great on ribs and even poultry.

Ive always used mustard and thats what I went with on this.  Used a KC BBQ Rub on it.  Havent used it before so I hope its good. 

Kutch98 said:
Ive always used mustard and thats what I went with on this.  Used a KC BBQ Rub on it.  Havent used it before so I hope its good.

I have used the KC BBQ Rub before and it is pretty good with no complaints. I think I still like the Famous Dave's a little better though.

Famous Dave's is my favorite "off-the-shelf rub. My favorite online purchased rub is Excalibur's BBQ Smokehouse rub. I buy this rub in bulk 5 lb bags, but it does come in a1.63 lb large shaker bottle and a 6.5 oz small shaker bottle as well.

I usually go through about 10 lbs of this stuff per year. I use it on all types of pork, poultry, and even potatoes (I have used on french fries as well as a baked potato). It is a little too sweet for beef IMO as I prefer a more savory flavor profile on beef. But, it is just a great all-purpose (No MSG) dry rub.

Back