Results of my 2 lb 15 Ribs: Not what I thought

SmokinSusie-Q

I removed most of the rub that came on my St. Louis ribs from Costco, coated them in garlic olive oil and my own rub.  Then I placed them in the frig overnight Friday.  At 12:30 pm on Sat. I placed them on the top shelf in the smoker ( had to cut in 2 parts).  Used 2 1/2 oz. hickory.  Set the Auber for 235.  After reading all the suggestions and comments on this forum, I decided to wait until 5 hrs. to check them.  They were definitely done!  I took them off and checked the internal temp. with an instant read thermometer.  It climbed quickly to 179+.  I think I should have checked at 4 hrs. and they were probably done in 4.  However, my husband and our friend thought they were great.  The next day, my husband confessed that he thought they might be a little overdone.  They were still good.  Any ideas why my ribs were done quicker than what most members have reported?  The pictures look great but maybe these ribs weren't great to begin with. . .or maybe frozen too long.  (I'm not sure if these are the right pictures since I couldn't see what I was selecting. . .still new at this!)

Attachments

• IMG_2229.JPG
    IMG_2229.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2230.JPG
    IMG_2230.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2231.JPG
    IMG_2231.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_2232.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2233.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 310
As I posted to u a few days ago, same exact thing happened to mine @235, pulled at 4 hours, totally done, temp was 175, way done!  I will check my next batch at 3.5 hrs for sure.  They tasted great but well done!  I put two racks on the top shelf and the 3rd one just under it, the highest I could put them in the 3D.  Had I waited another hour and a half, they would have been toast ;-))
We will both do better next time based on our experience ;-)

So, Carl, you are not alone with this result anymore!  I do remember your results. . .I at least should have checked at 4 hrs.  Well, we have to learn from experience, right?

Susie,

I didn't weigh-in on your original post because a) I knew you were on a rib path that was already in motion, and b) I was truly hoping it would work out for you.

With that said, I'll throw in my 2¢...  First off, your biggest problem was your ribs, not your technique.  You started out with pre-packaged/pre-seasoned ribs...that's a no-no, in my book.  Plus, you had 1 rack; also a no-no, in my book, but could be worse.

Pre-seasoned ribs are usually not as good of a quality as fresh ribs.  Plus, freezing them, in the original package, made the problem worse.  I've never had good luck with frozen ribs, and always prefer to get them fresh.  You lose a lot of moisture in the freezer.  Now, vacuum sealing cooked ribs, and freezing, doesn't seem to do that; just freezing raw ribs.

The seasoning probably effected the outcome, even though you washed it off.

Next time:  Go to Sam's or Costco, and get a cryo-pac of good, fresh baby backs.  I like the 3-packs at Sam's (IBP pork, very meaty).  Remove the silver skin (membrane), season/wrap in plastic/in the fridge the night before, then smoke the next day.

What you are trying to do now is analyze something that points only to one thing....the quality of the ribs you started with!  The quality of the meat makes all the difference!

Three Sons BBQ said:
Brine first... Seems to help... But I'm a little OCD. 😀

I'm 50/50 on brining ribs.  Traditional smokers?  Definitely...brine EVERYTHING!  SI smokers?  I don't find that brining ribs really makes much difference, as long as you start with good ribs to begin with!  Everyone that knows me knows that I'm not shy about my preference for brining, but I just haven't seen the benefit on ribs, over several attempts. 

All great points...I had a SAMs 3 pack, fresh, no seasoning, brined for 8 hours, used Famous Daves rib rub on all and I did take off the under skin, used 2oz maple, 1oz hickory (Smokinlicious). Set to 235, 1 in top rack, 2 in rack below top rack, included 1 qt of water next to the fire box. Kept door closed for 4 hours and opened at 4 hours to take out and put Sweet Baby Rays on and back in...oops, temp at 4 hours in thickest part was at 178, pulled and let rest. They tasted great, but dry. Maybe I did something wrong but this was my first real over cook, I like the ribs about 150 and a little more tender...less dry. No biggie, we just keep keepin on ;-)  The only thing I can think I could have done differently would be less liberal with Famous Daves and back to 225, other than that, I can't think what could have been done different.

DivotMaker said:
Susie,

I didn't weigh-in on your original post because a) I knew you were on a rib path that was already in motion, and b) I was truly hoping it would work out for you.

With that said, I'll throw in my 2¢...  First off, your biggest problem was your ribs, not your technique.  You started out with pre-packaged/pre-seasoned ribs...that's a no-no, in my book.  Plus, you had 1 rack; also a no-no, in my book, but could be worse.

Pre-seasoned ribs are usually not as good of a quality as fresh ribs.  Plus, freezing them, in the original package, made the problem worse.  I've never had good luck with frozen ribs, and always prefer to get them fresh.  You lose a lot of moisture in the freezer.  Now, vacuum sealing cooked ribs, and freezing, doesn't seem to do that; just freezing raw ribs.

The seasoning probably effected the outcome, even though you washed it off.

Next time:  Go to Sam's or Costco, and get a cryo-pac of good, fresh baby backs.  I like the 3-packs at Sam's (IBP pork, very meaty).  Remove the silver skin (membrane), season/wrap in plastic/in the fridge the night before, then smoke the next day.

What you are trying to do now is analyze something that points only to one thing....the quality of the ribs you started with!  The quality of the meat makes all the difference!

DM, I came to the same conclusion about the quality of the ribs.  I did get them from Costco, and that's the first time that they had only the ribs with rub on them. . .no choice.  Unfortunately, I live about 2 hrs. from Costco so it would be difficult to get them and smoke them the same day.  I don't buy ribs from local grocery stores in the area. . .except recently.  That was the prime rib that turned out great.  Got it from Piggly Wiggly, so maybe I should try their ribs.

kz0m said:
All great points...I had a SAMs 3 pack, fresh, no seasoning, brined for 8 hours, used Famous Daves rib rub on all and I did take off the under skin, used 2oz maple, 1oz hickory (Smokinlicious). Set to 235, 1 in top rack, 2 in rack below top rack, included 1 qt of water next to the fire box. Kept door closed for 4 hours and opened at 4 hours to take out and put Sweet Baby Rays on and back in...oops, temp at 4 hours in thickest part was at 178, pulled and let rest. They tasted great, but dry. Maybe I did something wrong but this was my first real over cook, I like the ribs about 150 and a little more tender...less dry. No biggie, we just keep keepin on ;-)  The only thing I can think I could have done differently would be less liberal with Famous Daves and back to 225, other than that, I can't think what could have been done different.

You seemed to have done all the right things.  I personally think all ribs are different even if they weigh the same. . .there are so many variables.  Hopefully, my next  effort will be better.  Hope yours is too.

Not all ribs are created equal:)  Even store packed vary, esp if you look at "injected" water content.  If you can try fresh from a butcher shop too.

My opinion has always been that it is easier to cook them a little longer than to uncook them.  I don't think that there is any harm in checking them on the early side. 

I usually say to check at 4 hours for your first set of ribs until you get to know your smoker.

I know many if not most smoke at 235-240 for ribs. But, I have had my best luck keeping my ribs moist by smoking at 225 for a longer time.

I love the Costco St Louis cut ribs and they usually take about 6-7 hours at 225.

Did you use a water pan? I always do for ribs.

Thanks for the info, Gregg.  I will definitely get some ribs on my next visit to Costco.  Then we can compare notes.  Yes, I did use a water pan.

BTW, I haven't mentioned this before but the only time I have had any residue in my drip pan was when I smoked the ribs. That's the only time I've ever had to clean it.  Even then, it was only about a spoon full of grease, easily wiped clean with a paper towel.  When my 2D arrived, I noticed that the right side of the drip pan dragged the top of the cabinet (enclosed cart) when inserted in the glides.  The glides were uneven, and I was a little worried that drippings might run over the right side of the pan during the smoking process.  My husband thought maybe he could bend the right glide to make it even.  Not that I don't trust his expertise but I didn't want to make it worse!  Obviously, it hasn't been a problem so far.  I  can't imagine what enormous piece of meat it would take to accumulate an overflow. 

Back to the subject of this message,  how much and what kind of wood do you use when smoking your ribs?  Do you brine or refrigerate overnight before smoking?

Back